iMac usage...

Discussion in 'iMac' started by TheAgonyWithin, Feb 3, 2012.

1. TheAgonyWithin macrumors newbie

I have the cash now for an iMac budget is $3,000 usd. I plan on using the imac to record my guitar with the apogee duet 2 and use garage band to add in drum samples. Nothing crazy. Also I plan on getting some type of animation software as I am working on writing a cartoon. Other than that ill be web surfing, itunes.. maybe upload some youtube videos. Will the 3.4 i7 with the 256gb ssd and 1tb hdd be sufficent for my needs? Or should I wait for the new 2012 imacs? Now I want dont want to feel like I made a mistake if I purchase now and the new imacs come out in a month or 2. Sorry I know theres a million wait or buy threads lol.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

That iMac you spec'd will be more than plenty of power to do what you want. I say if you need it now, but it now. If you can wait several months, you may consider doing so. The new iMac's should come out around May I think.

3. TheAgonyWithin thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks

Thanks man. My music career is basically on hold until I get the mac so thats why Im leaning towards buying it now. I mean even if I wait months to purchase the 2012 the thing will be outdated in 8-12 months anyways lol

4. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Right. And I don't expect that the 2012 will have any majorly drastic improvements over the 2011 models either.

5. TheAgonyWithin thread starter macrumors newbie

Lets say my bdget dropped to $2500 usd.
    Right now In the apple store I have a 2.7 ghz quad core i5 with the 4gb ram.(im going to owc for more) 1tbhd and the 256ssd. And the AMD Radeon HD 6770M 512MB GDDR5
    Think this will cut it? Or will I be dissapointed?

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

You'll still be doing quite well with those specifications.