iMac USB ports aren't providing enough power... help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ero87, Nov 12, 2007.

1. ero87 macrumors 65816

ero87

Hey friends,

My iPhone won't sync (it restarts halfway through). Neither will my camera, or my little USB flash drive. Also, my external iSight camera hasn't been working.

So basically, all my ports seem like they can't provide enough power. It works for a little after a restart, and for a little longer after i reset the VRAM, but it's still a consistent problem. Does this mean my logic board is fried, or something? Should I be worried? Is there a solution?

Thanks so much

2. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

A USB device is only allowed to draw 500mA at peak. Check your system profiler, when you select the USB bus it should say 500 next to bus power. To be honest with you though, this sounds like a hardware problem that may involve replacing your USB bus.

3. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

hmm it does say 500 next to bus power. maybe this isn't a power issue then?

Attached Files:

4. Zawamura macrumors regular

5. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

Well at least the power issue seems resolved. FYI in the future, when OS X notices that a device isn't getting enough power to function properly, it will let you know with a warning message. This most commonly occurs when using unpowered USB hub. But what confuses me about this is exactly what could have happened to your USB hardware. Is your computer under warranty? Do your other ports work?

6. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

well i just bought a AC-powered USB hub, connected my iPhone to that, and tried to install the new 1.1.2 thing. My iPhone reset in the middle of the process, and I got this error message.

Maybe it's a problem with my iPhone? But my iSight isn't working either...

(i really appreciate all of your help, btw :))

Attached Files:

7. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

8. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

ugh, i hate to hear "throw in the towel"... my computer's is only 2 1/2 years old, it shouldn't be breaking.

i'm not gonna buy a whole nother logic board, meh.. .any other ideas?

9. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

There may be hope...

Did this start after you upgraded to leopard? You might want to try downgrading to Tiger (assuming that you still have the disks) to see if that resolves the problem. You never know, it might just work. However, you don't have any way to back up your stuff before you downgrade other than burning DVDs. What a great way to spend the weekend before thanksgiving break.

10. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

thansk for the idea, but i was having similar problems in Tiger. I had actually hoped Leopard would help it out...

11. admiraldennis macrumors regular

that's the funniest thing i've heard all day

12. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

why is that? Should I be expecting my computer to break after 2.5 years? I wouldn't think so.

13. forrestmc4 macrumors regular

I don't know what this guy is talking about. While it wouldn't shock me to have a 2.5 year old HD fail, having a logic board integrated part like a freaking USB port fail does.

In other news: I am out of ideas. Maybe ask some of your school's IT people??

14. ero87 thread starter macrumors 65816

ero87

I appreciate your help, and everyone's help. I'm just going to live with it, I've tried all I can... not a huge deal, i'm still loving Leopard :)