iMac USB ports dead

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Gregintosh, Jun 18, 2009.

1. Gregintosh macrumors 68000

Well I just got home from my year long overseas adventure and get on my iMac aluminum (first batch of aluminum ones). After transferring some files from my external hard drive, I get an error. I find it odd so I unplug the drive from the hub and plug it directly in. I get another error.

It was mostly saying that there is something wrong with the drive and it will have to be formatted or something.

I unplug my USB devices, replug them in, and now no USB ports work. Keyboard won't work, mouse, etc. Luckily I have a wireless mouse, but the keyboard is USB.

I plug the Keyboard into the USB hub, and it works for a few seconds and then stops as well. Now it won't even get a few seconds.

I reboot, hold down Option, but no menu comes up, and when it gets into Mac OS it says no keyboard detected and it looks for a bluetooth one.

Any ideas of what I can do??? Any ideas of what could be wrong???

I am out of warranty :-(

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Take it in to the shop. You'll just have to pay to have someone look at it for you.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Maybe an SMC reset could do the trick.

1. Power off the iMac.

2. Unplug everything, even power.

3. After at least 15 seconds (I wait a tea break usually) plug the power and the keyboard (and mouse if you want to) back in.

4. Start the Mac and wait til the start up finished.

5. See if it worked.

4. Gregintosh thread starter macrumors 68000

Unplugging everything overnight even didn't work. I couldn't reset PRAM because the keyboard itself is USB and it would not even respond at the boot screen.

I just got back from Best Buy with the Apple Wireless Keyboard, and used that to reset the PRAM. Now everything seems to work! Thanks!

That was a close one since I don't have Apple care and I really don't feel like dropping money on costly repairs or a new desktop.

5. LilJoe7 macrumors newbie

Apple Wireless Keyboard

What apple keyboard did you buy. I am having same problem but my Bluetooth isn't turned on so my Bluetooth keyboard won't connect so I can fix my problem. Thanx Joe