iMac USB slow transfer rate

Discussion in 'iMac' started by atoothelex, Oct 17, 2009.

1. atoothelex macrumors member

atoothelex

I have a late 2008 model iMac. I store my music on an external hard drive. Recently, the transfer rates from the Mac to iPod have been sluggish (like USB 1.1). I've never had any trouble with speed until about a month ago. Before that, the data transfer of USB to iTunes to USB never had speed issues. Could it be the recent installation of Snow Leopard? Also, I've tried different iPods, and they all transfer slowly. Help!, thanks

2. oculus42 macrumors 6502

Get a Hub

If you have a USB 1.1 device on the same host controller as a USB 2.0 device, the whole shebang will drop to "legacy" 1.1 speeds.

It is my understanding this will not happen if you put the 1.1 devices on a USB 2.0 hub.

For a short-term check, try unplugging everything else from USB - even the keyboard & mouse - before you plug in the iPod and see if the sync is fast.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Yes, it could be SL, did the problem happen just after you installed SL? And have you just upgraded iTunes?

4. atoothelex thread starter macrumors member

atoothelex

all devices I've tried are USB 2.0. And Yes, i have iTunes 9. I updated it on the day it came out. And, yes, it was around the time of the installation of Snow Leopard that the problem arose.