iMac Users: Which would you choose for a mobile Mac?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Noisemaker, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Noisemaker Guest

I recently switched from a 13" MacBook Pro to a 27" iMac. I love the iMac, but work that I'll have in the future will require me to have a mobile Mac again, in addition to the iMac.

I'm debating between the base MacBook Air and last year's base 13" MacBook Pro.

Both are roughly the same price as refurbs, but I'm debating which would be better.

I'd be using it exclusively for web design, Photoshop, and possibly some work with Xcode.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I went with 13" MBA and I have been very pleased. I find 11" to be too small for comfortable use so it wasn't an option for me. You don't need much CPU or GPU power since you have an iMac, thus MBA is perfect IMO.

3. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

While I'm not sure how photoshop runs on it, I would go with the Air.

If you're keeping the iMac, you've likely already got the computing power you need, so what you need is portability to go along with it. The air wins hands down in that category.

4. lasuther macrumors 6502a

13" MBA for the screen resolution, which is the same as a base 15" MBP. The resolution is important for photoshop work.

5. fkhan3 macrumors 6502

6. iMikeT macrumors 68020

What did you do with your old MacBook Pro?

7. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

Since you have a 27" iMac a 13" MBA should serve you well.

8. Noisemaker thread starter Guest

I sold it, as my iPad covered my mobile needs at the time. However I'm now looking at new job opportunities that call for a bit more mobile power.

9. Psilocybin macrumors 6502a

Psilocybin

I second this. I am an owner of a 13" MBA and a 21.5" iMac. Couldn't be happier

10. Kendo macrumors 68000

27" iMac owner. If I had to choose a portable Mac, it would definitely be the 13" MacBook Air. The 11" feels great when you are holding it in your hand (especially when it is sitting right next to a 13") but that novelty wears off when you think about actually working on it for a prolonged period of time. The 13" is just a bit heavier but is much more suitable for daily tasks due to the screen.

11. iMikeT macrumors 68020

Let me get this straight. So you sold your MBP to get an iMac because your iPad allowed you to be mobile at the time and now you're looking to get a MBP/MBA so you can be even more mobile now? Sounds like the kind of plot you see in a daytime soap opera.

Did you ever stop and think that you may be using the MBP in the future (now/the present) before selling it in the first place?

12. Michael D. macrumors member

I'd go with an 13" MBA if the need arises.

I need limited processing power on the road, so the MBA would fit the bill perfectly for my needs.