Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RCummings4885

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 17, 2011
So I've narrowed my search of new computers down to either a 27 inch Imac with the 2.93 GhZ quad core I7 processor or the 15 inch MacBookPro with 2.66 GhZ Intel core I7. Now aside from one being a laptop and the other having a much bigger screen these computers are basically looking the same to me however I have gotten some people adamantly warning me against getting an IMac and that they've heard and experienced bad things with Imacs and Fincal Cut Pro working in tandem. IS there any truth to this? ANyone here agree or disagree? Seems to me they are the same processors with the same OS and so why should one handle FCP great and the other not but I'm just a stupid filmmaker so what do I know? Is this the older IMacs people are hating? Portability is not of the essence for me so should I go with the slightly better spec'd computer with the bigger monitor and the same price tag or what here? Help PLEASE!

Ryan

chrismacguy

macrumors 68000
Feb 13, 2009
United Kingdom
iMacs can run FCP just fine, theres no question about that (My White MacBook can strugglingly run FCP7, so an iMac should run it fine). For rendering and compression reasons Id go with the highest spec you can afford if portability isnt a main concern (I try and have a heavy-lifter (Mac Pro for me) and relatively ok laptop for plane/train/bus editing (MacBook for me right now).

Deeya

macrumors member
May 14, 2010
The two computers have a lot of differences, and I would imagine the MBP would run anything slower.

edit: If the portability is meaningless to you, it should be a no brainer. You get more computer for the money with an iMac.

Last edited:

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
An iMac can run FCP fine, don't forget also that the i7 in the MBP is a dual core whilst the i7 in the iMac is a quad core and therefore much faster with multithreaded aps.

dfusion-

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010
An iMac can run FCP fine, don't forget also that the i7 in the MBP is a dual core whilst the i7 in the iMac is a quad core and therefore much faster with multithreaded aps.

the i7 in the MPB is a dual core?? i though a i7 is always quad core?:p could you explain that please XD

Rodus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Midlands, UK
The i5 and i7 chips In Macbook Pros are all mobile dual core CPUs, the i5 and i7 in the iMac are desktop quad core chips, the heat output and power drain of current quads make them less viable (to Apple) in laptops, although this may change with Intels new Sandy Bridge CPUs and the next Macbook Pro refresh.

From Apples site
New Intel Core i5 and Core i7 processors.
The 15- and 17-inch MacBook Pro feature the fastest dual-core processors available, which boost performance up to 50 percent.

So if you need raw power then get the iMac, although the MBP CPUs do technically support hyper threading, which splits each core into 2 for applications that support it, most do not support this feature.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.