imac versus macmini + 24" monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mollusc, Mar 5, 2009.

1. mollusc macrumors newbie

Hey
    just wondering what you think
    is it better value now to max out a mini and get a 24" apple LED, or get a 24" iMac and then max it out?
    weighing up potential lifetime and power

2. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

I'd consider the Mini, but wouldn't pair an ACD. Consider whether you need Apple's high-end monitor to go with what is essentially an entry-level machine.

3. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I looked at this quickly, and if you do go with the ACD, your price for mini+monitor will exceed the price of the iMac, but with slower chip, less memory, and smaller HD. If you get a less expensive monitor the price would be less (duh). But it seems that the all-in-one is the better value for performance.

4. mollusc thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies
    I realise that the apple led is an expensive option and i could get something decent for a third of that price.
    A really good display is important to me and i would like to use it for many years.
    the mini is a bit lacking in power, but if i have a great display i can always upgrade to a more powerful mac later (and utilise the mini for other purposes)
    the imac has power but not quite as much as i was hoping for, and its display is a bit under par in comparison, however it would meet my needs for the moment (which the mini might not) but i wonder for how long, bearing in mind it is laptop tech.

5. saltyzoo macrumors 65816

saltyzoo

Yet another user that doesn't fit the Apple mold.

How big does this group have to grow before Apple sees fit to meet their needs. :(