iMac very hot running Win 7 under Bootcamp

Discussion in 'iMac' started by BasilFawlty, Mar 6, 2012.

1. BasilFawlty, Mar 6, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

I have Win 7 installed using Boot Camp. It works great, but I have noticed my iMac seems to be much hotter to the touch when I've been running Windows. Is the fan not working, or do I need to do something to ensure the fan is working correctly in Windows?

2. halfp1nt, Mar 22, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2012

halfp1nt macrumors newbie

What video card do you have?
    I have a MBP that I bootcamped and installed Win7 on. Under normal use, the fans would spin up and I would notice that it would run rather hot. First I tested to see if Aero in Win7 was contributing to this behavior but turning Aero off had no effect. I have a AMD HD 6490M. Trying to install the drivers from AMDs website failed - The Install would prompt that I had incompatible hardware/software.
    Just last night, I noticed that on AMDs website they have a MAC Graphics drivers specifically for Bootcamp, so I installed those, and so far it seems to have solved my issue.

3. JWSandi macrumors regular

I have the same issues, the upper part of my iMac gets much warmer than it does when running OSX, not hot but very warm.

Ive yet to have any issues like shutting down etc... I keep a desk fan blowing on the computer case just to give it some cool air.

But I'm concerned, especially when I run MS flight simulator for two or three hours at a time.

You say this is normal, can you please explain why, I'd just like to know more about why it runs hotter than normal.

4. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Touching the back of your iMac is not a valid way of trying to ascertain how hot it is running. Get applications for both osx and windows and compare internal temperatures and fan speeds.

5. smoledman macrumors 68000

I can confirm. I just installed Windows 7 Ultimate on my 2010 iMac. It runs very hot at the top but cooler at the bottom.

6. aure28 macrumors newbie

Same here, it's normal.

7. obsoletepower macrumors regular

Remember, the case will act like a heatsink since it is made of aluminium. The temperature of the case will reflect that of the CPU / GPU. Do not worry too much about it. As others have said, it is normal.