Imac Video Card Question

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by scoobierules, Aug 29, 2009.

1. scoobierules macrumors member

scoobierules

Hello,

I am looking for some help on deciding what Imac I should buy. I have everything down with the exception of the graphics card difference between the models. I am not a gamer. But, I am a techie and I want the best picture possible. So, is it worth buying a higher end card or does it really matter for me?

I have own Macs before and I know the ends and outs of them. But, I never learned what the difference is with Graphic cards. I searched Google and I could never find a comparison of the cards available now.

Any help would be appreciated it.

2. PatrickCocoa macrumors 6502a

Here are a couple of articles on video cards for the iMac (and Mac Pro). My interpretation of their results and conclusions is to either get the option ATI Radeon HD 4850 512MB [Add $200.00] it if you need or want better games or graphics. If not, then get the stock NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 256MB and save your $200. They don't think the mid-range card NVIDIA GeForce GT 130 512MB is worth it - pay the extra $50 and get the HD 4860.

http://www.barefeats.com/imac09.html

http://www.barefeats.com/imac09d.html

Those card are only available on the higher end iMacs.

3. mgridgaway macrumors 6502

mgridgaway

If you're not a gamer and you don't plan on using it for any pro level apps (aka heavy photoshop, flash, final cut pro, maya, etc) then having a better graphics card will mean absolutely nothing to you.

I'm not exactly what you mean by "best picture." All macs have had the ability to produce the exact same basic images and colors for years and years (with, of course, exceptions for more advanced things like quartz, core image, etc, but all new macs support this anyway and have since the intel transition). As far as panels go, the 24" iMac does have a higher quality screen, so the display will look nicer. However, the 20" looks fine. I'm typing on one as we speak.

I know you say you're a "techie," but I've never known someone who describes them self as a techie who doesn't have at least a good idea of the basics of graphic cards. Are you sure you don't fit more in line with gadget lover?;)