iMac video card upgrade.

Discussion in 'iMac' started by ltldrummerboy, Feb 22, 2009.

1. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

I have an early-2008 2.4Ghz iMac with an ATI Radeon 2400XT GPU. Since this card is pretty limited in it's gaming abilities, I would like to upgrade.

Now before anyone says that the iMac isn't meant to be upgraded, let me tell you some more. I have completely disassembled this machine already to replace the clutch mechanism (the hinge that attaches to the stand, part #922-8221). To do this I had to remove the screen, bezel, logic board, hard drive, a speaker, the power supply, and some other junk. Taking this iMac apart is not a problem for me.

The only difference between the early-2008 20" iMacs is the CPU and GPU (and the hard drive for you sticklers). I am simply wondering if installing the Radeon 2600XT (part #661-4672) will conflict with the 2.4Ghz processor that's in the computer. This may sound like a ridiculous question but I'd really rather not blow $250 on a part I can't use.

2. an4rew macrumors newbie

while the card might be removable as it's on a separate slot, don't expect to find many alternatives.
    there are currently no stand-alone MXM compatible graphics cards on the market

if you do manage to find one then i think its possible... i'd apply some thermal paste to the GPU just to be on the safe side as it might effect the CPU cooling.

3. Outsider macrumors regular

Outsider

Since some laptops use MXM, i wonder if you can pop a 8800 GTX MXM card and replace the ROM with a Mac version of the ROM? I don't think it's ever been done. The only barrier I can think of is the ROM is too small to hold the Mac version.

Also, Apple makes a 8800 GS version of the card. Can you get that one instead?

4. ltldrummerboy thread starter macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

The 8800 from the 24" model won't fit and I don't want to experiment with putting other cards in.

The only thing I need to know is if a card from the 2.66Ghz model iMac will work in the 2.4Ghz model. All I'm doing is upgrading from a Radeon 2400XT to a Radeon 2600XT.

If it works it will be far cheaper than buying a new iMac for gaming, even if the part is overpriced for the card I'm getting.