iMac video encoding experience's

Discussion in 'iMac' started by 435713, Aug 3, 2011.

1. 435713 macrumors 6502a

I was looking at snagging a 27' imac soon for video encoding. My question is how is encoding video? I heard CUDA technology on some machines and software that support it can do encodes extremely fast. (Nvidia tech) Not sure if the ATI cards in the iMacs have anything like that.

Be mostly for blu rays converting them to a DVD so I have both versions since some Blu rays dont come with DVD's.

2. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

3. 435713 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Curious as to what amount of time to transfer a DVD/blu to the hard drive basically.

4. SawceBaws macrumors member

And this, dear friends, is the type of unhelpful retards we have to put up with at MacRumors.

5. 435713 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think I wasn't perhaps detailed enough in my OP. Raven seems cool from other posts he has made. Dont think he was being a meanie.

6. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

That sounds like a pretty hypocritical line considering you just joined this place this very month. I really can't give the original poster an honest answer other than to say 'they're fast' unless he gives me specifics. He already sounds knowledgable on the subject matter at hand, so I already presume he knows that encoding time will always differ depending on the program being used, the codec being used, all the bells and whistles of the codec, the version of the codec, and any filters being used during the transcoding.

Transferring a blu-ray to hard drive is purely the work of whatever blu-ray drive you're using, and the speed of the interconnect. Transcoding however is a different story from straight ripping. Macs also don't have blu-ray drives in them, so you'd have to get a 3rd party blu-ray drive that works with OSX (unless you're planning to utilize windows on the mac)