iMac video resolution of external display in extended desktop mode?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by obdave, Jun 14, 2009.

1. obdave macrumors member

Hello, I've been Googling around for awhile now, and I can't seem to find an answer to this question on the forums or the Apple site.

I've had a Mac Mini for the past year or so, and I'm looking to upgrade to a 24" iMac. I want to use the iMac with an external monitor which I plan to share with a PC using a DVI KVM switch. So when I'm not using the PC (which is most of the time) I'd be using the external monitor as an extended desktop for the iMac.

When the PC is running, I want to use the KVM to switch the monitor over to the PC, and I'll try using Synergy to share the Mac's keyboard and mouse on the PC.

My questions: what is the maximum video resolution supported by the iMac's Mini DisplayPort? Is the max resolution different with the DVI dongle than the VGA dongle? And with an external monitor, is there any benefit to paying extra for the iMac optional GeForce GT 130 or Radeon HD 4850 graphics processor?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

2. MTI macrumors 65816

The DVI adapters support the max resolution of the graphics card in the machine, but your KVM switch might not.

3. obdave thread starter macrumors member

Yes, and I'm trying to find out what the max resolution of the graphics card is.

4. slpdLoad macrumors 6502a

slpdLoad

With the right adapters, you can run up to a 30" display (2650x1600 or whatever it is).

A better graphics card will help with high resolutions.