iMac virgin and need help please

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Deanhailwood, Jul 29, 2011.

1. Deanhailwood macrumors newbie

Hi I'm new to the mac world and have just purchased an iMac 21 inch. its amazing and blows windows to pieces but just having a few teething problems.
    When i download a program e.g. bit torrent the next time i start my mac up its gone off the dock and have to re-install and the same with football manager, i downloaded football manager via steam and it created an icon on my dock but when i have restarted the icon is nowhere to be seen??? when i go in applications there is a bit torrent and bit torrent alias???whats alias???
    basically i just want to know how i get my icons to stay in the dock etc.
    prob really basic but I'm a mac virgin and struggling.
    thank you

2. 184550 Guest

Right click when the application is open in the dock, then options, select 'Keep in Dock'.

3. Deanhailwood thread starter macrumors newbie

i did that three times and when i have come back on there is a greyed out question mark in its place?????

4. simsaladimbamba

5. Kasalic macrumors regular

When you download something on the Mac it goes into your Downloads folder, from here you can either run the install program, move it to the Applications folder or run it straight from the Download location.

The greyed out question mark shows that the app is no longer where it was when you initially right clicked and selected Keep in Dock.

6. Deanhailwood thread starter macrumors newbie

ok thanx will read your links.....
    any quick tips or advice for general use after converting from windows?
    i use bit torrent but you guys recommend any others?