iMac Virgin needing advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by lakewood, Feb 15, 2008.

1. lakewood macrumors newbie

Thats it Ive had enough with Dell

Ive just arranged my refund for the cr***ppy XPS machine and Im going to dip my toes in the imac water

Need advice please

What is the best spec to go for

Main uses...music I have 230gb on my itunes..pictures...video...surfing...and so on
    Pretty standard
    I will be taking the sound out to my Arcam Solo and then to speakers, what cables do i need
    What software options are worthwhile?
    Are Office Mac files able to be opened on windows machines?
    What memory is essential - I really want my itunes - yes all 230gb - to sing and be zippy

Appreciate the expert advice- also is it best to buy online or in store - iam based in Southampton UK which does have an apple store

:):)

2. Spievy macrumors regular

Congratulations!!

MS Office will open both Mac & PC MS Office files. I do it every day.

If you already have 230GB of Files get at least 500GB HD.

3. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

The only sound output option (stock) is to use a line-out cable. I do this to output sound to my Denon amp to speakers, works just fine. Otherwise you can get a USB audio card if you want (kinda overkill).

Compatibility issues with Macs are a myth, and you can expect full compatibility with nearly any type of file. Meaning that you can find a translating program on the Mac to run nearly anything. And if you can't, install Windows and run it natively! God I love Macs!

4. lakewood thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys

I must admit im excited - but also full of ignorant questions!

Is it true that it is easy to upgrade the memory (and a lot cheaper) after purchase?

Is the 2.8 Ghz processor worth paying for?

Do external hard drives work as easily as they do on Windows?

Will my existing Netgear router work to privide broadband- ie just taking the ethernet cable and plugging into the Imac like I would my Dell?

Cheers all

5. cheeseadiddle macrumors regular

I bought a 2.8 Extreme just after they came out. Been pleased as punch with it. I also bought at the same time, a 2.4 20" and an AEBS. I love the base station and have had no issues with it what-so-ever. The 20 has given us the typical freezes, but seems to be running well since the last leopard update.

6. jdeitch macrumors newbie

iMac Memory

I have a 2.4 GHz, 24" iMac that is about 6 months old. I recently upgraded to 4 GB of memory. It is really simple. After shutting it off and disconnecting the cables, you just remove one screw in the bottom to get to the memory slots (follow the directions in the book that comes with the computer).

A great source for memory is http://www.crucial.com/ . The "4GB Kit" (two 2 GB memory cards) for the iMac costs about $115.

Jay

7. dukeblue91 macrumors 65816

dukeblue91

To answer your questions it's pretty much a yes on all accounts with the exception of the 2.8 ghz. that's a preference you will have to decide for yourself.
    You will absolutely love OSX.

8. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

1. Sounds like you have tonnes of files. Go for the 750GB drive

2. Don't buy memory direct from Apple. It is very easy to put in later, and you can get good memory from somewhere like Crucial *far* cheaper (don't go for the stupidly cheap places though. It still needs to be quality memory). 2GB works nicely in an iMac.

3. If you're not playing the latest games or doing heavy graphics/video/audio work (i.e. more than editing your holiday movies), I think the basic model is fine.

4. If you're new to Macs, it's worth getting Applecare - so you can ring them up as much as you want and ask stupid questions (although only about Apple stuff, so they would not answer questions about Word, only Pages etc.).

5. Office Mac files should open fine on a Windows machine, and vice versa. The only incompatibilities would be very esoteric functions that would most likely only be in the heaviest of business documents.

9. lakewood thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks All

Good advice

Must admit very excited- dont know why I didnt do it years ago. Actially I know why - because I wanted to be compatible with my work pc and being able to work from home. But it sounds like that wont be too problematic.
    I guess I wont be able to network with my Xp laptop - even with a direct ethernet connection- because of the OS differences. The way around this is either to transfer files by USB storage devices or to instal windows on to the imac in a partitioned drive

I am not inclined to do this but is it easy - does it work

:):)

10. student_trap macrumors 68000

student_trap

just thought id recommend you picking up the biggest hard drive you can, as they are not use replaceable! For a machine that should last a long while and is particularly special because of its 'all in one' nature, I'd get nothing less than a full TB.

For snappyness, its all about ram. If you don't mind paying apple way over the top, then buy it from there (can potentially make it easier if you have any problems with the machine, although this is a hotly debated topic, and i dont want to start it here!!!!;)), although most people on MR buy from third parties, and seem to have no more or fewer problems than those with apple ram...the choice is yours!

Finally, definitely buy applecare, it is simply invaluable

11. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375

12. TopGear300 macrumors regular

TopGear300

Welcome

As a recent switcher... I can assure you that you will be much happier with a mac. ESPECIALLY with what you are going to be using it for! And what better way to switch that to switch to an iMac such as myself!

Speaking from personal experience... some words from the wise:

DON'T bother spending the extra for the 2.8ghz (to be honest... I have experience with all 3 clock speeds and although I opted for the 2.4 ( as u can see in my signature and I love it) you could save a little $$ by going 2.0ghz)

DON'T bother buying extra memory from :apple:. Others have already mentioned good spots to buy more memory for WAY cheaper and for the price 3rd part retailers charge... why not go 4gb? Its very easy to install

DO buy at least the 500 gb. ( The different clock rates vary the hard drive options keep in mind)

DO get iWork. Love it... and is way cheaper than going for Microcrap's software. iWork reads and exports documents in a microsoft office format so why bother having it?

Hope this HELPS!! any other questions just let me know :apple: