iMac vs Apple LED

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by viizi, Dec 14, 2010.

1. viizi macrumors regular

I have come to the conclusion that I need a bigger screen than my 24". I am currently running a 2008Mac Pro with 6gb of ram 2x2.8xeon quad core with nvidia8800gt. I am wondering if it is worth getting the iMac 27" (on refresh with new specs) or sticking with my current mac pro and purchasing the apple 27" LED display.

Things I use the computer for:
    Photoshop - digital painting on large canvases
    modo401 - Product visualization
    tetris

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Your current Mac Pro still has a few years left in it. I'd say get the LED screen.

3. viizi thread starter macrumors regular

Yah I think you are right. My next computer in a few years will be an iMac though when the beast finally karks it. Wondering if it would be more cost effective in the long run to get the iMac when it refreshes next year. It would be an upgrade and last longer than my mac pro hmm dunno anyway I'll read a few more replies before deciding. Thanks :)

4. simsaladimbamba

The iMac uses less power though and is pretty capable for its size, though I don't know how complex your paintings and models and animations are, where the GPU in the MP may work much better.

I currently work on a MP 1,1 to finalise some wedding video (easy peasy I suppose) and it is quite slow in some regards and does not fully use every resource it has, even with CS5 products like AE, in which I did a photo montage.

Even though running Geekbench results in 2000 points more than my MBP workhorse (5500 vs 3300), I still have the feeling, it is not that much faster.

But what I realised, is how much power it uses, currently 230W (35W per CPU, there aren't at full use right now thanks to a 32 bit application like Avid MC), which is 5 times more than my MBP wold use and three times more than my iMac.

Okay, it is late and I may be getting off topic.

Have fun with your machine and maybe add more RAM to prolong its life and add another GPU for the 27" LED Display.

5. viizi thread starter macrumors regular

Yes I was also thinking about a GPU upgrade for longer life and mini display port (maybe). More ram would be cool but it is so hard to purchase 2008mac pro ram without being ultra sure I am going to stick with the Mac Pro because it is more pricey than the later models.

6. Battlefield Fan macrumors 65816

Battlefield Fan

I would go for the 27" Apple display. As posted before your mac pro has lots of potential and is far from being called slow or old. When you get an iMac in a couple of years you can use your 27" display as a secondary display ;)

7. Nachos, Dec 15, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

Nachos macrumors member

Nachos

8. viizi thread starter macrumors regular

I have Mac Pro not Macbook pro :p I have decided on the display after running geekbench scores the only current Mac Pro and the only iMac that passes my score is the top end i7 quad core iMac so I figure even with the next refresh coming out it still won't be a huge jump in performance to fork out the extra cash for. The display will be cool to have along with the 27" iMac for my future computer in the next 4-5 years.

Thanks everyone :) your help has greatly influenced my decision