Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Original poster
I have been thinking about buying a new 800 Mhz iMac for some time. (I got side tracked by a new car, but that's another story... :cool: Thought I would wait until after July anyway)

I was looking at the specs the other day when I realized the low end iMac and the eMac have the same processor, HD, memory, graphics card, cd drive, and so on. The biggest difference is the screen, case, and price. So what do you folks think? What are the trade offs? Is the extra money worth it for what you get?

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
It all depends on which you value more, form factor or money.

I had a user come into my office today to ask what she would be getting if she got the eMac... I pointed out all the features, letting her know what she was getting. I also advised waiting until after MWNY, since there is a good chance the spec's will increase on it. I also suggested that she go to an Apple retail store (there are three within an hour drive from here) and check them out. I also told her to get at least 256MB of memory (single chip) and to tell them she won't pay any more then if she got it online (via Apple's online store). She wanted word type functionality, and the eMac comes with AppleWorks 6 (means she won't have to get m$ word/orfice).

With the possibility of the better spec's, I hope she can wait the ~3 weeks until MWNY. Then again, her 4-year old peecee just "sh*t the bed" so she is without a computer. I pointed out how it is not at all uncommon to see a 4-year old Mac still in active service, but it is rare to see the same from a peecee.

Looks like we have another home convert coming to the fold.. :D

billiam0878

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2002
Winter Park, FL
There will probably be a greater distinction made between the eMac and iMac at MWNY. The iMac will probably get bumped (to 800MHz & 933MHz or 933MHz & 1.0GHz) and might also attain a better graphics card, while the eMac will probably stay about the same (perhaps a bump to 800MHz).

Bill

Ensign Paris

macrumors 68000
Nov 4, 2001
Europe
Originally posted by G4scott
Last edited by G4scott sometime last century at a certain undisclosed time (PM)

I hadn't noticed he had changed this!

I think the SuperDrive is the main feature (available) on the imac.

Ensign

jefhatfield

Retired
Jul 9, 2000
see my other post concerning emac

the imac is better mainly because of the lcd...less wear and tear on the eyes and the monitor is easily adjustable lending to even less fatigue

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
imacs are just better than the emac. the emac is for people who dont have enough money to buy a real g4 or are just brainwashed by price.

The crt on the emac looks hideous. i saw one in person and it looks rele bad. it would probably be one of those first computers that your parents get you so they dont have to spend any money.

on the otherhand, the imac looks refined and well styled. the emac should be changed to the imac and the imac should be changed to something with a little more prestige. im not sure what to call it, but apple is pretty creative; theyd figure it out. Really, the emac isnt anything new. it takes up the same space as the old imac and still has a crt. But, on the other hand, the new imac has the most innovative styling since the all in one imac relased way back when.

In my opinion, if you want a computer that can preform, get the imac. It will probably be upgraded soon to a faster chip anyways, so u might aswell wait too so u can build up the funds that you saved up to buy the emac cuz u thought it was soo cool to finally get the first sub $1000 G4 ever (well not rele, $999 doesnt rele count with tax or S&H).

ejb190

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Thanks for the input!

I am really excited about the prospects of burning DVDs. I have so many ideas about what I could do for work with iDVD. I guess that takes the eMac out of the picture, but I was still interested in what you folks would say.

What is so bad about the eMac screen? While it didn't measure up to a LCD, the one I saw didn't appear to be so bad. But I also didn't have time for much more than a passing glance.

I totally agree with holding out until after MWNY. I made that mistake when I bought my first Mac (Wallstreet 266) only to see a price drop and new models within a week or so... But the models are so new (espically the eMac) will there be an upgrade at all?

Eric

G5orbust

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2002
anytime man. we're always happy to give u advice to help you pick out ur next computer.

MacAztec

macrumors 68040
Oct 28, 2001
San Luis Obispo, CA
Hmmm...

What about a Tower. You can put a superdrive in teh 800MHz model, and then recieve the 200 dollar rebate, and the price about flattens out. Then, you can get a 17in LCD for about 699. I say you should check out small dog or deal mac, and get a refurb.

If you get refurbished stuff (which isnt bad by any means) it would probly cost you about 2 grand for:

A G4 800MHz tower with a Superdrive, better video card, more expansions, you can get more RAM, and it will last longer.

And a 17inch Apple Studio Display, whcih is VERY nice. And if you dont want DVD-R, you could just save about 250 bucks and get combo!

And yes, wait till MWNY because I think Apple is going to change the case and style of their displays, and as we all know, their Powermacs will be updated.

My grandma got the 700MHz iMac with Speakers, and its ok. Its not THAT fast, and the screen isnt big enough. If you are going to be using iDVD like you say, you should go for the tower.

Just my thoughts!

DavPeanut

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2002
Maryland
I own an iMac G4 800. Its good enough, but it takes forever to burn a CD, let alone a DVD. I havent tried that yet. The eMac looks good enough, but if you give a damn about the environment, it has a CRT so it has lead, so it hurts the environment when you throw it out.

AlphaTech

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2001
Natick, MA
Originally posted by DavPeanut
I own an iMac G4 800. Its good enough, but it takes forever to burn a CD, let alone a DVD. I havent tried that yet. The eMac looks good enough, but if you give a damn about the environment, it has a CRT so it has lead, so it hurts the environment when you throw it out.

How long do you call 'forever'? An 8x burner will take longer then a faster burner (duh) and the Apple Disc Burner software takes longer then Toast. If you want ~8 minute burns with an 8x burner, then get toast.

As for crt screens and the environment, there are regulations in place (in the US) to prevent people from just tossing monitors into the trash any longer. Since you are so opposed to crt's, I gather you don't have any tv's in your place. The crt's in monitors and tv's are the same.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.