iMac vs. Mac mini

Discussion in 'iMac' started by yustas, Jun 29, 2011.

1. yustas macrumors regular

If the rumors are true, Mac mini will soon be upgraded with Sandy Bridge CPUs. The question is, is it going to get one of the i7 chips? If it will, aside from LCD, how is it going to be different from the current iMac 21.5" with an i7 CPU?

2. AppleDApp macrumors 68020

AppleDApp

It will probably only get an i3 because the mac mini has to sell at a lower price point then the other mac computers also the mac mini was designed on the idea of being light and use minimal power. If you start putting top of the line components your are just building a headless mac. that would cost as much as a macbook pro.

I can only see the mac mini as a server or a HTPC.

3. ditzy macrumors 68000

ditzy

Traditionally the mini gets the same spec as the 13 inch MBP. I of course can not guarantee that this will happen at the next refresh, but if it does the minis will have dual cores rather than quad cores. As well as integrated intel graphics.

4. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Unless you're going to be taking it everywhere, the iMac is probably a better choice.

The iMac has the IPS screen, as you mentioned.
    Quad core i5 2.5Ghz CPU
    512MB 6750 Discrete GPU
    4GB RAM to start.

Mini

Dual core, (likely) 2.3Ghz i5 - 2.7 i5 CPU
    Integrated Intel HD3000 256-348MB shared system RAM (which are being slated on this forum at the moment, although if you don't game, maybe irrelevant)
    2GB RAM to start.
    Fair bit cheaper.

However, factor in the monitor cost, the mouse and the keyboard and you might not end up far off the cost of the base iMac, which, if nothing else, will look a hell of a lot nicer than a Dell monitor with wires hanging out all over the place. Maybe that's just my inner neat-freak talking.

Both are crap from an upgrading perspective.

For me, it'd be the iMac every time.

5. MacHamster68, Jun 30, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 30, 2011

MacHamster68 macrumors 68040

MacHamster68

the i3 might just be possible at around 2ghz , but i5 and the i7 at clock speeds of a iMac would be impossible due to heat issues , that little alu box would get hot enough to boil eggs on with a i5 clocked at 2.7ghz with a i7 clocked at 3.4 ghz you could possibly grill some steaks on it , or they would need a serious fan which would transform that little box into a windtunnel

ok there would be the possibility of a serious downclocking which them would not make real sense
    the mini is a lot smaller then a MacBook pro and the heat needs to go somewhere

6. DisMyMac macrumors 65816

DisMyMac

Won't every Lion install allow macs to be servers?

What would a server in "every" home mean anyway? I'm imagining an internet that resembles the late 1990s again, only with more liability for hosting the free speech (or criminal content) you upload.

7. Michael383 macrumors 6502a

I don't believe the Mac mini will get an i7 processor but rather an i3. I do hope they include more than 2 GB of RAM stock on the new Mac mini's.

8. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The Mac mini is designed mostly to lure people away from Windows, since they already have a a monitor, keyboard, mouse etc. I just ordered an iMac at work and I did consider the mini. The problem with the mini is that it is underpowered for what I do and by the time I added in the monitor, keyboard etc. the price difference between that system and an iMac wasn't large enough for me to sacrifice the integrated design and the better performance of an iMac. However, I might consider one for a home system.