iMac vs Mac Mini

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Aerizon, Jul 21, 2011.

1. Aerizon macrumors newbie

Hey guys,
    I was about to pull the trigger on the higher end 21" iMac when Apple dropped the Mac Mini & Apple thunderbolt display update yesterday. I occasionally play a few games (starcraft II) but nothing too graphics intensive. I can't afford the 27" iMac. So what do you guys think?
    The combo would be cheaper with 27"! display
    iMac has better graphics and memory

Thanks!!:)

2. farmermac macrumors 6502a

iMac better value...you get a mouse, keyboard and little bit better specs (and optical drive)

3. Rocco83 macrumors 6502

You can buy a 2011 27" refurb off apple.comfor a pretty good price and that would probably be your best bet. It is actually what I plan on doing pretty soon.

4. lee14160 macrumors regular

lee14160

Go with the iMac. . .you will be a great deal happier. The iMac will run circles around the Mini. Just remember with the mini you get nothing but the mini.:)

5. Aerizon thread starter macrumors newbie

I know, that thunderbolt display is just so bloody gorgeous though. The 27" iMac uses a different display doesn't it? I know there are threads floating around about iMac display versus cinema display, but did Apple change the screen quality of the thunderbolt display?
    I have a 2010 15" MBP, so I thought I'd be able to hook it up to the thunderbolt display. Or is that wishful thinking with the graphics card?

6. Dresevski macrumors 6502

You will definitely be able to plug it into the display and it will work perfectly, however your laptop will not work with the new iMac. I think you'll be happier with the iMac over the mini but it's a different story if you have other desires for your laptop.

7. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

AFIAK, the displays are identical (iMac vs Cinema)

You should be able to hookup the new display, but since you dont have the TB port to power the "hub" on the new display its a waste... older one would work better...

your 15" MBP will play games better than a new mini...