iMac vs Mac Pro (buying advice)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by fluffycone, Jun 9, 2011.

1. fluffycone macrumors newbie

I'm sure the question about what to purchase has come up many time before now. I am in the market for a new computer, PC or Apple. I want to learn more about the difference package (CPU, motherboard, memory, OS, etc) options in order to make a very good decision on my new purchase. I know that by spending a lot of money on a CPU and getting the cheapest components is not a good idea. That is why I'm looking for the best package. Any reference to creditable reviews would be great.

1. My first question is what is the difference between the different processors (i3, i5, i7, Xeon, etc). In what application would the i3 be a better choice over the i5 or Xeon. When would a Xeon be better than all the others? Is AMD a valid choice?

I am open to PCs, but it seem that when I buy a Dell, HP, or other brand, I just end up with different problems. I like the idea of being able to go to the store and talk to an Apple Service Genie (I mean Guru) face to face to resolve my problem. Although, the apple have not been without their problems. I had an iMac 24", and 3 Macbook pros and there has always been some kind of problem. Like batteries swelling up. Mother board going bad or flaking out. DVD drives not working properly. And FW800/400 plugs not acting correctly.

I'll keep searching other threads for this information in the meantime.

Thanks for everyone help.

2. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

i3 = good
    i5 = better
    i7 = best
    Xeon = Server Platform sometimes used in the desktop platform, usually in the Mac Pro's for Multitasking and performance.

What do you plan on doing with the machine? Usually i5 is sufficient for most. AMD is not a CPU of choice in any MAC.

If you dont mind being confined to a desktop the iMac is a nice choice, if you want any mobility then a MBP is the way to go. Check out refurb to save $ too.

3. nightfly13 macrumors 6502a

nightfly13

The iMac display quality yields great value

If it's important, the iMacs come with very beautiful and high quality displays that make the overall package very attractive. I'm about to upgrade from old Mac Pro to 27" iMac.