iMac vs Mac Pro for my situtation

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mbs4298, Feb 7, 2015.

1. mbs4298 macrumors newbie

I know there's a lot of these posts already but I'm trying to see what is the best set up for the situation I'll be editing in.

I'm going to be creating videos for my new job. I'll be making short promo videos, title graphics, lower thirds, etc. Nothing too intensive and no huge projects. I'll use FCPX and Motion 5.

All of this should be fine on a 5k iMac but I'll also be recording several hours of footage and needing to turn them around to DVD as quickly as possible. Some of the files will be up to 250GB and I'll need to export them out to something that will burn to DVD or transfer to a 4gb to 8gb flash drive. Toast does a pretty good job of taking large files that size and getting them to DVD or I'll do a quick edit and export them out, then burn them. Either way I process the files I need something to get a DVD duplicating as fast as possible. So I want to know if the MacPro in a 6 or 8 core will out perform the iMac for this.

I also like future proofing myself as much as possible and leaving room to grow with a more powerful MacPro. As well as being able to go with multiple 4k monitors.

Either set up will need to be portable but there's not any real difference in the two options as far as ease of transport goes.

Thanks for the info and any other ideas for simplifying things would be great.

2. velocityg4 macrumors 601

velocityg4

Sounds to me like you are leaning towards the Mac Pro.

For your usage it sounds like the GPU would be a bigger factor when encoding the video. Whenever I encode h.264 on my PC my CPU hardly gets touched. Motion also takes advantage of the GPU.

So I'd look at the 6-Core Mac Pro with the AMD FirePro D700 over the 8-Core with the FirePro D500. If you can swing it and less time spent waiting for rendering and encoding will make you more money then do both.

You could also use the money saved to boost the RAM and SSD or buy a 4K display.

3. mbs4298 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm definitely leaning towards the Mac Pro for longevity and expandability. Will do after market RAM as I can and get it up to 64gb.

4. mbs4298 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm just wondering if I would benefit more from the hardware acceleration of the iMac or the software compression of the Mac Pro.