iMac vs Mac Pro? For using after effects and final cut

Discussion in 'iMac' started by annasmithnz, Mar 11, 2013.

1. annasmithnz macrumors newbie

Hi there,

I have been searching forums and so on trying to find a clear answer about what configuration I should go for.

Should I buy an iMac or Mac Pro for using AFX and FCP?

I deal with HD footage and renders in most codecs up to Animation quality. I'll be editing and creating graphics for multiple clips that will probably be around 2mins in duration.

What is the ultimate configuration for a Mac?

I'm not a complete idiot when it comes to computers but I'm not super up to date with knowledge either

Any advice on the configuration would be appreciated. Processor, Ram, Hardrives, Graphics card

Initially I assumed Mac Pro but after searching some forums I'm now thinking iMac would be enough.

help please!

2. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

If you're using it to make money, I'd go mac pro every time. And its not purely a performance question.

Why?

RAID, storage capacity, memory capacity, expandability and user servicibility.

If the machine breaks, how much will it cost you in lost work while it is repaired?

The Mac pro will enable you to configure the internal drives as a mirror, so that if one dies, it carries on working - until you get a replacement and install it yourself (which could be the same day).

If you find you need more than 32 GB, you can install more than 32 GB.

If you find you need more internal storage in 12 months time, you can easily upgrade it. If your video card dies in 3 years' time, you can replace it.

If the screen dies, you can replace it. If you want a bigger/higher res screen, you can replace it. And so on.

If anything in an iMac dies, unless you're feeling lucky, it's a trip to the apple store where they may or may not be able to fix it for you that day. Meanwhile, you're not earning money...

Now I'm not sure what your day rate is, or what you can book out in a day, but if you're unable to do that, the cost premium of a Mac pro which will protect you from that situation starts looking less and less expensive pretty quickly.

3. annasmithnz thread starter macrumors newbie

ok, thanks.

But what I'm ultimately asking is if I go for the Mac Pro, what configuration should I go for.

Theres alot of options and just want a heads up on the configuration - Processor, Ram, Hardrives, Graphics card

Sorry, my last post wasn't clear.

What is the best configuration for a Mac for AFX and FCP?

Like I said I'm not clueless but normally I have an IT dept to help advise.

thanks

4. bmcgrath macrumors 65816

bmcgrath

Even a base model Mac Pro will spank an iMac... But as someone mentioned you can add bits and pieces over the course of time and keep improving a Mac Pro or fix it.

5. cirus macrumors 6502a

No, The base model mac pro uses a 4 core 3.2 Ghz xenon w3565.

I know geekbench isn't a terribly great indicator of performance but the 4 core w3565 gets 9700 points and a 27 inch imac with the i7 upgrade gets 12800 (32 bit, the spread is similar for 64 bit). The six core upgrade (6 cores 3.33 ghz) is slightly better than the imac. If you are not on a strict budget then the mac pro is much better for the reasons others have said, but be prepared to spend significantly more money up front (which shouldn't be a problem if your rate of return is higher) for the power to spank an imac (you will have to go dual cpu to do this ).

6. dandrewk macrumors 6502

Personally, I wouldn't consider a MacPro at this point. It's been years since Apple refreshed it that line. It's way overdue.