iMac vs Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Oubipaws, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Oubipaws macrumors newbie

Hey Guys-

I'm new the forums, but not to new to the world of Apple's but I do have a couple questions for you guys more up to date with Apple hardware than I am..

I just got a brand spanking new Mac Book Pro and I absolutely love it - Dreamweaver, Adobe Flex, Photoshop, etc all run like a dream in comparison to my old G5 and my HP laptop.

But now I'm looking to setup my home office and I have about a $4,000 dollar budget, with that would you buy a iMac with an extra monitor or a Mac Pro with Dual Monitors?

I know it's somewhat random, but I just wanted everyone's opinion as I plan on ordering after the next couple days (of course I've got to see what Apple brings out this afternoon ;).

Thanks guys!

2. mgargan1 macrumors 65816

mgargan1

I think you said it best, wait to see what apple comes out with this afternoon...

Then re-ask your question.

3. empezar macrumors regular

empezar

there is most likely not gonna be a mac pro update, however there will be an imac update.

this makes buying an imac a lot more tempting.

4. opeter macrumors 65816

opeter

Yes, i am also waiting for na update of the current Mac lines :)

5. mr_matalino macrumors 6502a

mr_matalino

I guess the question is how often do you use these apps? If this is something you do for a living and use it often then go MacPro. You can use the extra power. However, if its a casual use, go iMac. Save yourself $1000...

6. aLoC macrumors 6502a

It depends what apps you want to use. If pro video apps are your thing, then a Mac Pro might be the ticket. It is specialized for that usage. If you have more general usage then an iMac.

7. MIDI_EVIL macrumors 65816

MIDI_EVIL

The iMac definately, now the new specs are released. Core 2 Duo Extreme!

Rich.