iMac vs Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JulianRascal, Oct 29, 2007.

1. JulianRascal macrumors newbie

I used to use Mac's all the time (from 1986 with the Mac Plus) and went to the dark side when OSX first came out. I have now switched back and use a Mac Book Pro for home. I love Mac's again and want to switch the work to Mac.
    The question is:- Is the iMac fast enough or do I need the Mac Pro. I used Office (but migrating to iWork & iLife) Adobe CS3 (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat + PitStop), QuarkEXpress 7.3, FileMaker Adv 9, Aperture, Firefox etc... I spend most of the day using the computer and love speed.
    Advise would be good. The iMac looks good spec and is cheap (compared to a equiverlent hi end PC) but does not have the expanderbility. I have dual big monitors and have heard that iMac only clones not a proper dual monotir.
    Thanks
    Julian :)

2. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

I'd get the Mac Pro since you already have two monitors. The iMac does support extended desktop, so you can do dual screens but no triple screens so your extra monitor would go to waste. If its your primary computer and you're going to use it a lot, the Mac Pro is a lot more expandable and would last a lot longer (4 hds, 32gb ram, removable graphics card etc). However, there is a lot of rumours about new Mac Pros, so you might want to wait if you're going to get it.

3. npdale macrumors member

iMac good enough?

Im having the same dilemma... I have a Powermac G5 (Dual 2Ghz) and am thinking of updating early next year... I use CS3, and Final Cut Studio as well as the usual iLife and iWork etc etc....

Now in everyones opinion is the iMac good at using these high end programs? and can it handle Hi-Def video etc... Im thinking of getting the iMac as a shorter term investment whilst waiting for the next couple of Mac Pro chipset updates...

Opinions and advice if you have any would be great! Thanks Guys!

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Fast is not really going to be an issue. The midrange 2.4 will be sufficient for your tasks and despite that fact that I found it rather amusing that when I specified a 'low-end, cheap' graphics card for my latest HTPC it came with the same card as found in my 2.8 iMac, nevertheless the GPU on the machine will tackle everyday tasks like yours without any problems.

Apart from the obvious, I think it boils down to what the duty cycle of the machine will be.

If it's to receive a sustained high usage, the Pro (with Apple-specified memory) will be more likely to retain peak operating capability down the line.

The CPU and GPU on the iMac are inadequately cooled for day in / day out hammering and you may experience failures and instability down the line through sustained use.