iMac vs Mac Pro

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gazfocus, Jan 22, 2008.

1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I'm in the market for a desktop Mac and can't decide whether to go for the iMac or the Mac Pro.

The iMac I would be going for would be the 24" 2.8GHz model with 750GB Hard Drive.

The Mac Pro would be the single processor 2.8GHz quad core, base spec (although possible upgrade to 8800GT).

If I bought the iMac, I would be upgrading the hard drive to 750GB so it would work out roughly the same price as the Mac Pro with the 8800GT.

I use my computer a lot (I'm currently a Windows user), and I do some video editing, some music production, but mainly just general tasks, and web design/image editing with Dreamweaver and Photoshop.

What would you guys suggest?

My reservation over the iMac is that my Windows PC is a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo and it's just over a year old now, so I kinda feel that buying the 2.8GHz iMac (apart from the OS), wouldn't give me any improvements over my current system.

However, if I buy the Mac Pro, at some point I would buy an ACD because I'd want them to match :D but at the moment I have a HP 22" monitor that I can use for the time being.

My main reason for considering the Mac Pro is for the quad core (or even 8 core if I can save the extra cash), and the ability to add more/bigger hard drives.

Can someone please give me suggestions because I really am stuck with this decision.

2. MikeL macrumors 6502

Go for the MP. What's the upgrade price on the 750GB drive?

3. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

I think that by posting in the Mac Pro forum you've already decided and just need a little encouragement. ;)

From what you've said it sounds like you won't regret the Pro – like you say there's very little difference between an entry Pro and a speced out iMac.

4. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Upgrade price in uk is £150

5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Well I posted it in the iMac section too but this was my first port of call :p

6. MikeL macrumors 6502

You can get two drives for that price.

7. craig1410 macrumors 65816

craig1410

Isn't the main difference the absence of a beautiful big 24" display? (Open to correction here as I'm too lazy to check up on the prices... :eek: )

Don't get me wrong, the Pro is a stunning piece of engineering but I'd have to say the same for the iMac and it's so much more compact albeit in a non-upgradeable sort of way... ;)

Whichever you choose you will have an excellent machine - I think we can all agree on that can't we!!

Cheers,
    Craig.

8. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

Yeah, I know but the iMac's are so difficult to upgrade so it's not worth it

9. itou macrumors regular

never ever buy any all-in-one unless you absolutely positively have to. ;) it ain't portable like a portable, and yet it ain't upgradeable like a desktop. save your pennies for the real thing.

10. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

gazfocus

I can already afford the single cpu 2.8 but might wait til next month and buy the 8 core 2.8 instead