iMac vs Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by adavies42, Jan 12, 2010.

1. adavies42 macrumors newbie

Long time Mac user, currently using an old PBG4 and a 1st-gen Air, looking to move up to something that can a.) do moderate gaming decently (mostly WoW), b.) play current video codecs (e.g. 720p h.264), c.) do more than one thing at once. Price is only moderately relevant, as I'm reasonably well off, so my internal debate at the moment is mostly between the 27-inch iMac and a Mac Pro, probably with an accompanying 30-inch display.

I have fond memories of my old beige G3 minitower's lasting me five years on the strength of its upgradability, which is one of the things making me lean towards a Pro. OTOH, the iMac is probably sufficient for my current needs, and I'm not so well off that saving ~$2k is completely useless. ;)

Anyone have any other thoughts on the subject? Any new rumors on the Pro (or the Cinema Displays) that might affect the decision?

2. disconap macrumors 68000

disconap

The imac will be significantly cheaper than the tower + monitor and will easily meet your needs. The tower is more than you need, but in 5 years the tower will probably outperform the imac (though right now benchmarks have them neck and neck).