iMac vs MacBook Air + External Monitor

Discussion in 'iMac' started by keystothecity, Dec 5, 2013.

1. keystothecity macrumors member

Hi Guys,

I come to you looking for a little advice. I currently own a 2013 MacBook Air i7/8/512 and have recently been considering buying an iMac.

It has crossed my mind that I might be better off using my MacBook Air with an external display instead of spending $2000+ on an iMac.

Most of my time is spent on emails, spreadsheets, and some basic graphic design (nothing too intense). Would I be fine simply using my MBA on an external display, or do you think the case ca be made that buying an iMac is worth the extra money?

Thanks for your help guys!

2. Serban Suspended

based on what you use (your need is a screen real estate)the logical choice is buying an external monitor because you need screen estate. So buy a 27" Thunderbolt display and you will spend half of an imac money

3. tbolt11 macrumors member

I have a 2011 Air and I was faced with a similar dilemma. My original plan was to sell the Air and get a 2013 Air(or retina) and an External display. I ended up going with a 21.5" iMac though. I am happy with the decision but I plan on using the iMac for a ton of stuff including media server.

4. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

What iMac are you looking to get?

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Based on the usage you describe, the MBA with an external monitor is the way to go. I switched to this setup (MBA and TB display) a couple years ago and never once regretted it.

Previously I was using a MBP and iMac and as the MBAs got more powerful then the TB display came out making the physical connections clean and simple, I made the switch.

I will tell you what I don't miss is keeping two machines updated.

6. keystothecity thread starter macrumors member

Hi Guys,

Thanks for all the replies.

The iMac I'm considering is a 27 inch 3.4GHz/Fusion/775m.

I guess for me I have trouble spending $800-$1000 on just a Thunderbolt display. That doesn't seem like a great deal of value to me. Most external displays with resolution similar to an iMac are all $600+ which means you are effectively paying $1200 or so for the rest of the iMac components.

I'm still kind of torn and really can't decide what to do at the moment.

7. tbolt11 macrumors member

I wouldn't get the thunderbolt display personally. I would get a dell ultrasharp 24" you can grab one for around $290 I think