Imac Vs Macbook/Macmini + Apple Display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by sebastien19, Sep 24, 2012.

1. sebastien19 macrumors newbie

Hi,

Like a lot of you I'm waiting for my first desktop class computer already had a macbook pro in 2010 currently have a very basic macbook air

i was planing to buy a 2012 Imac and waiting since march back in the days i wasn't seeing any point of buying an apple display +macbook or mac mini

But im still wondering i know it would be better because you can grab you macbook when you need it and carry it with you but beside that

what about value after years and life length what is better

upgradability what is better should i consider macmini or macbook + apple display

i don't want to change my mind juste because i want to buy now because both ways i'll have to wait i'm currently at school for another 4 years and want a powerful computer that will run for that time

im webmaster designer and studying computer engineering

thanks for your advices

Seb

Sorry you can probably see french is not my first language !

2. MagicThief83 macrumors 6502

I like you, have also been waiting for the 2012 iMac, which may never happen in 2012. Rumors have come to a grinding halt and sellers/Apple have all restocked 2011 models, which leads me to believe that Apple couldn't over come their iMac manufacturing/refresh issues, thereby post-poning the release until possibly 2013. If nothing happens in two weeks time, I will get a rMBP and an external IPS monitor. I'm tired of waiting. The rMBP is plenty powerful and can outperforms most other Macs, including the current 21.5" which is what I'm after.

----------

The portability is also a plus as you can easily just remove your MacBook from the thunderbolt display for whenever you need it on the go. You can't go wrong because you get the processing power yet you also have the advantage of mobility.

----------

I've been waiting since February and I also have a MacBook Air, which is a great machine, but I really wish I'd gone for the retina MacBook Pro.

3. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

To me, I wouldn't get a rMBP as my computer.

• It's the first of its time. Let's say by doing so you're volunteering to pay Apple, yet become a guinea pig for a beta tested notebook worth $2000++. It has nasty problems, especially with the display.
    • Talking about resale value, just as MBA .. it has zero upgrade-ability. You're stuck with whatever you get the first time. So, preowned-rMBP market is pretty much screwed. Once Apple release a new shiny rMBP, it's degrading as much.

4. the27thvoice macrumors member

Assuming current Mac differences hold true when you buy, it's a bit of a trade-off. Mac Mini is easier to open up and expand with a 2nd hard drive, and is cheaper. iMac takes twice the RAM and is faster.

In your shoes I'd go with an iMac once they come out, but be aware that while you can run it in four years, it won't be fast then.

5. ihuman:D macrumors 6502a

Yes it will, I'm running an old Dell Optiplex with 4g ram and upgraded Ati graphics and it runs great.