iMac vs MacBook Pro vs Mac Mini & iPad

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macfingers, Jul 13, 2011.

1. macfingers macrumors newbie

ok so, im buying a new apple setup as my current macbook pro is getting old and i want to upgrade.

my current setup is a macbook pro, which i connect to the tv (apple tv or hdmi) for majority of media.

my three options are as above.

i dont particularly need the portability and power of the pro as mostly i use it for media and some fairly basic computing, office'y, student'y stuff. however i do like using it for the occasional dj'ing gig, i mean occasional and i have a pretty good windows pc that will do that with ease also. however i do like the feel and look and function of the macbook pro so i might upgrade that and keep my setup basically the same.

i do like the idea of a slight change however and i might go for either the imac, and use it in close conjunction with apple tv for media. it will give me a place i can do work and i could just use the pc laptop for mobile computing and dj'ing. it will look good also.

or

i also like the thought of getting a mac mini wired into the tv full time giving better performance for media and i can also do computing on it (tv is 50", 720p hd and about 10ft away from seat), using magic trackpad and wireless keyboard. (will the os look good on the tv?) alongside this i could afford an ipad 2 for skype/facetime and rest of mobile computing and use the pc the way i use it now, just for some things on cracked programs etc.

i like the idea of the mac mini & ipad but im concerned i might miss the macbook pro, wont get the full multitouch experience and it will be hard to use the os on the tv.

any advice or input will be greatly appreciated.

thanks in advance

2. FrankHahn macrumors 6502a

The final decision rests on your priority.
    1) If the computing power is weighed heavily, you then go with an iMac.
    2) If both the mobility and computing power are weighed heavily, you then go with a MacBook Pro.
    3) If some computing power is weighed heavily, you then go with a Mac Mini. But, a HD TV set is not a good computer display. It is OK only for occasional uses.
    4) If the mobility is solely weighed heavily, you then go with a MacBook Air.