iMac vs MacBook Pro vs MBA for music

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by terry007, May 21, 2013.

1. terry007 macrumors member

Hello

I m looking to buy one of these computers to record music , It seams a lot of people are buying the MacBook Air these days ,
    Would I be able to achieve the same tasks with the MBA ?
    Will most likey run protools or Logic etc etc
    I'm planning on buying a used one .
    In other words for my money under 1500 dollars what should i buy ?

T

2. simsaladimbamba

A MacBook Pro due to expandability (RAM and HDD or SSD), preferable with a High Res screen to get more screen real estate or an iMac.

While a MacBook Air might be able to do what you want, it is probably not that pretty to do so, especially if you need external devices.

3. terry007 thread starter macrumors member

So its between an imac and a MBP ? I kinda felt that although some people were telling me to buy a MBA
    If i understand with the MBA one can not burn and CD or DVD right? And that is a problem..

4. simsaladimbamba

As the MBA has no optical disk drive (ODD), as do the late 2012 iMacs, one needs an external ODD (30 €) to burn CDs and DVDs.

5. Liquidstate macrumors member

It's in the mix...

Regardless of what you buy, the main music issues are processor, memory and screen size. Recording usually doesn't require much power, unless you are using a lot of virtual stuff. It's mixing that requires the power and screen real estate. Especially if you start using a lot of tracks and power-hungry plug-ins.

There isn't a new Mac at your budget level that has these capabilities. And the MBA has essentially an iPad processor and cannot be upgraded. I'd advise getting the fastest used iMac or MBP you can find. Then upgrade the memory and HD's as much as you can.

6. terry007 thread starter macrumors member

7. Liquidstate macrumors member

Here's another idea. There are some people on MR that use Mini's for music recording and production. I use a MP, so I don't know anything about this.

A new or recent Mini might get you a workable system within your budget.

I'd suggest you investigate the Mac Mini Forum, because there was a lively discussion on this awhile back. And then, if you have further questions about what is possible, you could ask on that forum.

Also, it would be helpful to know what your music goals are. Then people can make suggestions specific to your needs.

8. A Hebrew macrumors 6502a

A Hebrew

^The mac mini would work but I would not get it unless you get the fusion drive. Either way, I would recommend an iMac for a desktop computer over the mini any day even with just the standard HD (Though fusion is obviously the best thing to have)

9. terry007 thread starter macrumors member

10. deadwalrus macrumors regular

Ignore this post -- it is idiotic. No, an Air does not use "essentially an ipad processor."

A 2011 Macbook air will run Logic with 64 tracks, each with 4-6 effects without skipping a beat. If you get a 2013, upgrade it to 8 gigs RAM to be safe, but your main concern is storage. I think 128 gb would be enough as long as you are willing to offload old projects onto external storage.

11. appleisking, Jun 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2013

appleisking macrumors 6502a

lol what?

Apparently you don't know that there's more to a processor than just the number of cores and its clock speed. The processor the macbook air 2013 sports is more powerful than any of the ones in all of the pro machines except the higher end core i7 quad with 3 GHZ clock speeds. Unless you're suggesting that the previous generation intel core processors are more powerful than the newest 4rth generation ones...
    Excuse my post I just realized this thread is a little bit old for my post.