iMac vs MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by applereviewguy, Sep 1, 2011.

1. applereviewguy macrumors regular

heres the specs of both macs

iMac 27"
    3.4GHz Intel Core i7
    4GB RAM
    6970M 1GB

MacBook Pro
    2.2GHz Intel Core i7
    4GB RAM
    6750M 1GB

If I could get 80-90% of the performance with the MacBook Pro I'd get that. I use color grading, effectsm text, and 1080p video editing with FCPX. Any advice is helping.

2. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

I think that if you were to edit 1080p footage, a base clock of 3.4 would be much more efficient at processing and rendering the footage compared to 2.2. That's just what I think.

3. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

If you plan on editing, you certainly want to go with the iMac. Way more bang for your buck and a screen that will be great for video editing. Personally, however, I would suggest throwing in at least 4 extra GB of RAM. Don’t go with apple RAM obviously as 180 dollars for 4GB is insane but you can find some for like 40 bucks online that can be easily installed. With the 3.4GHz i7 and 8-12GB of RAM though yo’ll be able to edit anything you need.

Edit: Also, as a comparison, I have the 21.5” iMac with a 2.8Ghz i7 and 8GB of RAM and it’s render times are great. 720p footage in no time at all. With a 3.4 your renders will just fly, especially if you give your iMac some extra RAM to utilize.

4. And1ss macrumors 6502a

And1ss

Going off of the poster above me, I have the 2.2 quad, 8gb ram, 750 7200rpm version and fcpx renders for let's say a sequence of photos, basic video and transition takes some time - not slow but takes a bit of time. Go with the iMac, add 8gb or even 12gb ram from newegg or OWC and have lots of fun. Plus, more screen unless you already have an external screen.

The only reason why you should consider getting the mbp is if you are more of a mobile editor. If that's the same and you wouldn't mind spending more $$$, get the 17in.