iMac vs MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by JosephDuffy, Nov 2, 2011.

1. JosephDuffy macrumors regular

Hi,
    I'm going to be getting a new Mac some time between now and next September for University. I was looking between and iMac for bang-for-buck, and a MacBook Pro for the ease of use of a laptop. I'm going to be doing Software Engineering in University, with good facilities, enough that I shouldn't need a laptop.
    Obviously the MacBook Pros have just updated, so it would be a good time to buy one, especially since they probably won't update until after I start next year.
    However, I could maybe get an iMac. This is currently my preferred choice.
    For this, should I grab something in the Black Friday sale (if it's a good deal), or wait for the refresh?
    Looking forward to any opinions, I just can't make my mind up!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It really comes down to the point of needing portability. If you don't think you need to use the laptop in classes, then get the iMac. I find that the MBP provides a lot of utility and flexibility and my usual recommendation is to go with that.

3. Vantage Point macrumors 65816

It really comes down to the point of needing portability

Exactly!!!!

A MBP and an external monitor is the dynamic duo. Last year I had a 27" iMac and 13" MBP and sold both for a 15" MBP and a wonderful, wide gamut, non-glossy external monitor with zero regrets. The current base model 15" MBP's have geek scores around 10,000 which kept up with iMacs but iMacs a fixed to a desk so you might need to get a portable as well hence killing the value of a iMac. Since the latest refresh is 2x more powerful than my 2010 I may upgrade on Black Friday if there is a great deal - I like Amazon as my preferred vendor - best prices and no tax in my state (I know you are in GB). Also, the 2011 MBP's can take up to 16GB ram which is a nice option if you need it and when the price for 8gb sticks fall further next year

It is personal preference but the key factor is portability - either you have it or you don't.