imac vs macbook pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by .13, Sep 29, 2008.

1. .13 macrumors newbie

well, im in the market for my first apple computer for uni, i just dont know weather to get a imac or a macbook pro??

macbook i can take to and from uni which will be a bonus, but still being able to work from home with the imac is still good

im just unsure as i dont know squat about either piece of hardware so things like MSN can i still use it on an apple computer?

can i upgrade say the gfx card in a imac myself?

as until yesterday i thought it had a tower i didnt know it was all in the screen its self lol

software i will use will include photoshop, lightroom, after effects and final cut pro

what things i can and cant do with an imac ect?

also i will be waiting to see what happens on the 14th october also

thanks in advance

# 13

EDIT: Apple give you an option to have final cut express 4 and aperture to come preinstalled for £55 if you decline that do you get the discs to install the software your self?

2. .13 thread starter macrumors newbie

3. SpookyLars macrumors 6502

1. If I were you, then I would choose a Macbook Pro.
    2. You can't upgrade gfx in iMac.

4. PXPrado macrumors newbie

dude i know your quandry. I was have the same question repeatedly come up. Ok, first, since your going to be doing a lot of photo and video editing, you will need a lot of power.

Either the mbp running at least 2.4 GHz will be good or I recomend the iMac 20" at 2.66 GHz

Second Ram. Don't skimp on the ram. You will hate your self for it later. At least 1 if not 2 gigs. if the computer you want supports running 4 only do if absolutely needed. I game so I needed it.

Also in terms of video editing are you planning to do HD stuff or SD?

If no HD content, get the version that is presold with the mac of your choice.

5. .13 thread starter macrumors newbie

it will only be SD video this year i do plan to buy my own HD camera but thats next year, i will upgrade the ram but not buy from apple i will do it my self sooo much cheaper and it will be to 4Gig i will also game on it too,

its just a case of deciding imac or macbook pro :confused:

6. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I always thought of the iMac as a MacBook Pro in a bigger shell with a faster hard drive and processor.

Inputs and outputs are the same.

I was in this situation too, either an iMac or a MacBook since my old iBook was slowly dying (and still is).

So I bought the iMac first (last October) and bought an MacBook later (this August), so I could have the best of both worlds.

I know a MacBook is not as powerful as a MacBook Pro (iBook and PowerBook were much better names btw), but it can do the jobs to, like video capture and editing, photo manipulation and all the other CPU heavy stuff.

If you're planning on going HD and want portability and play games, you should take the MacBook Pro, you can use it with an external monitor at home.

It's for you to decide, if you want portability more or not.