Imac vs Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nibuoy, Sep 19, 2009.

1. nibuoy macrumors member

currently, i have 2 computers

A dell dimension 9200c with 1 gig of ram and pentium d @ 3ghz running vista

and

A dell latitude d420 with 1 gig of ram and core duo @ 1.2 ghz running xp

I am switching to macs, and i am wondering whether i should buy the 24 imac with 2.93 ghz or the macbook pro 15 with 2.66 ghz

Im not sure whether i should replace my desktop or laptop

Also, i plan on buying this withing a year. Are there any major updates i should wait for on either computer? Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Bot are expected to see an update before or right after the end on the year. You already have a monitor for you desktop right? In that case, get MBP and attach the desktop's monitor to it to make it both, laptop and desktop

3. trip1ex macrumors 68000

Just depends on whether you want a laptop or desktop

4. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

I was thinking about the imac because it has ridiculously good screen and it has a faster processor and i think a better graphics card.
    Is there a difference between the imac and macbook pro in performance?
    Ill be using it for some gaming, but not video editing.

Btw, i do have a monitor, but it is 19 inches and 1280 x 1024

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you get 2.93GHz with ATI 4850, it'll be A LOT better in games. I have an iMac and I absolutely love it. :cool: :apple:

6. NathanCH macrumors 65816

NathanCH

If you've never had a laptop, for sure go with the Macbook Pro. Imagine using your computer anywhere you go! (This is coming from someone with both).

BUT if you are using your computer for work related to graphic design, you will want a large screen. But if it's for school and you're doing word processing and stuff like that, screen size doesn't matter.

7. superlatic macrumors regular

if you can put up with the iMacs glossy screen then I would definately recommend the iMac

My first gen aluminium imac (4GB Ram, Intel Core 2 Extreme 2.8ghz) is just over two years old now and has taken a serious hammering usage wise. Still starts up in under 40 seconds. No issues so far (except as I am currently working on a dissertation hence have the computer on for long periods, starting to get some image resistance on the screen)

8. nibuoy thread starter macrumors member

should i keep my old laptop and get an imac? Or should i keep the desktop and get a macbook pro.

Im going to be doing some gaming (Call of Duty, etc), word processing, and some music(editing and making)

9. Shake 'n' Bake macrumors 68020

Shake 'n' Bake

iMac. Wait a few months though.

Check the refurb store, too. There are insanely great deals on previous gen gear there. You've just got to wait for a new generation to roll around.

10. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

MBP will do those fine. My advice is to get MBP and external monitor (you have one but it's only 19"), so it will serve as a laptop and a desktop, but of course if you're budget doesn't allow it, you have to choose something different

11. mac2x macrumors 65816

I did that (see my sig) and couldn't be happier. I like the extra screen real-estate of having both screens at my desk, but i need to be able to take my computer with me sometimes. Otherwise, I'd look into a 24" iMac. :cool: