Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nibuoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
I'm upgrading to a mac, and I will either get an Imac 27 or Macbook Pro 15.
I'm not sure what I should buy, because i have two computers write now.
A Dell Dimension 9200C, intel pentium D with 2.8 Ghz, 1 GB of Memory and integrated intel video card.
And a Dell Latitude D420, intel core duo 1.2 Ghz, 1 GB of Memory and an integrated intel video card.
Which one should i get, and when is the next upgrade for the Macbook Pro?
I can wait for around a year before I buy this computer. Also, for the Imac 27, can i run windows 7 64 bit on boot camp 2?
Thanks in advance.

destroyboredom

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2002
Washington, DC.
If you don't require the mobility of a laptop, I would go for the iMac. The screen real estate is incredible, plus you get more computer for the money. Windows 7 isn't officially supported by Apple yet but will be in the future. That doesn't mean however it won't work right now. I have the 32 bit Win7 RC installed and its running fine, and there were people running the 64 bit RC without issue as well. The Macbook Pros were last updated in June, so it's about mid cycle right now.

https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//#MacBook_Pro

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
unless you need portability I'd say get the $1500 imac w/ the ATI 4670. and I have win 7 premium 64 bit installed threw boot camp and it runs good. the snow leopard disks has the 64bit drivers on it.

ditzy

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2007
As has already been said if you need portability go for the pro. If not the iMac is perfect. The above poster suggested you to go for the top spec 21", If you have been having a lot of issues with your intel integrated graphics this would be the best course of action. If they have been enough for you, the 9400m will be a nice improvement, and save you a lot of money.

MacKiddyWiddy

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2009
unless you desperately need portability, go with the 2nd tier imac 21.5" the spec is too good for the price compared to the mbps
signature_SmileyFace.jpg

nibuoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
Thanks for the replies,
Since I already have a laptop, I think I will get an Imac 27.
Is it really worth it to spend 300 more dollars for the core i5 and better grahpics, or should i just get the low end imac 27?

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thanks for the replies,
Since I already have a laptop, I think I will get an Imac 27.
Is it really worth it to spend 300 more dollars for the core i5 and better grahpics, or should i just get the low end imac 27?

The Core i5 version will likely have a much longer usable lifespan as more programs take advantage of multi-core processor's. With the Core i5 version being so much more powerful for a relatively small price increase I think Apple should not have bothered with the Core 2 model. As it seems a waste of money comparatively.

nibuoy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 3, 2009
One last thing.
I have a samsung ln32b360 hdtv (it is 720p and is 32 inches) in my room (although it's too big to use as a monitor on my desk. I keep it on top of my dresser) that i could use to play games one and connect it to the macbook pro if i need a large screen. Should I still get the imac?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.