Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

majorgray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
UK
I have noticed recently that following the introduction of the new macbook pro line up, the starting entry level price for macbook pros and imacs in the US is the same 1199. However in the UK there is a difference of £50, with the macbook pro starting at 899 but the imac starting at 949.

I find this quite puzzling. By whatever formula surely if the price for two computers is equal in the US is should be equal in the UK.

Is this a uk specific imac tax??

I fear this confirms that uk customers are getting a raw deal with imac pricing.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The prices only change when a new model was introduced. The extreme fluctuations in the exchange rate between GBP and USD are responsible for this difference - when the iMac was introduced a few months ago GBP was worth a lot less.

majorgray

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
UK
exchange rate recalibration?

OK so it seems that the price of the macbook pro in the uk indicates that the exchange rate has changed and this is reflected in the new price.

It seems a little unfair then the the imac price is not recalculated. If the price was set during a period of exchange rate instability, surely it should be recalculated now things have settled?

Our good friends at amazon constantly change their prices, in order to give the best deal rather than setting the price at one arbitrary time point. Surely Apple should adopt the same policy?

I think this is important since the difference while not much at the lower price end scales up for the higher priced items.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.