iMac VS. MacBook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tumeg101, Sep 2, 2007.

?

iMac or MacBook

1. iMac

21 vote(s)
    77.8%
  2. MacBook

6 vote(s)
    22.2%
  1. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I know I have posted this before, but this time, is the last time... I promise, lol...
    I have been PC all my life, and decided it was time to get a Mac, but I can't decide between the mid MacBook, and the low-end iMac. I wont be buying either until Christmas or my Birthday(Jan-7th), when I can afford it(from gifts).

-MacBook- Pros\Cons
    I would get the MacBook for the portability, but I am not sure I would even need to take it anywhere. I am a freshman in High School, but I am home-schooled so no need to bring it to school. The only places I would bring it, is maybe camping (we go camping allot), and basically just around the house. But I am not sure if portability is worth the extra $200.
    I also really like the MacBook, for it's nice sleek look, portability(not a big thing to me), and ummm... basically that's it...

-iMac- Pros\Cons
    I really like the iMac for it's big, bright screen, I like the keyboard, nice big HDD, better graphics than the MacBook, looks VERY nice, but my only concern is... when I was comparing the two Macs at the store earlier today, I noticed the iMac 'beach balling' ALOT, and actually froze at one point (playing with iDVD), and I don't know if that is because it was just getting really hot (from all the other computers heating up the room (and the 100 degree weather doesn't help)), but the MacBook also would beachball a few times, but passed times I have played with it, it never has beachballed on me, so it might just be the heat.
    I was just at the apple store to play around with the new iLife, and the new iMac and keyboard earlier today, and I gotta say... the iMac screen is amazing compared to my current one, and the MacBook, After using the iMac for a bit, then going over to the MacBooks, I noticed how bright the iMac was, and how dim the MacBook was. And as my mom pointed out, the MacBook screen is just too small for doing stuff with photos (I will be making tons of sideshows, and some amateur photo editing (Aperture and CS3 in the future).

So yeah... before you guys make the decision and post, I would like you to know, I am on a tight budget. If I get the MacBook it must be refurbished. I currently only have $992.21(lol see in sig), so for the rest of the money, I will need to hope I get for Christmas\B-Day... (I got about $250 last year, so I should get enough for iMac, idk about MacBook)
    And my dad can get a deal on the Macs, he can get them about $50 off and no tax.
    Also, just so you know what I will be using the mac for:
    -Internet
    -Chatting
    -Music
    -Amateur Photo Editing (CS3 and Aperture in the future)
    -iLife to the extreme (well, for the first few months at least)

2. sarah3585 macrumors regular

sarah3585

Sounds to me like you already have decided on the imac, you seemed more enhusatic about it.
    If you don't need the potibility then the iMac would be better. Sometime it's nice to take the macbook into another room, sit in bed with it ect but for that you won't have the big screen which will be better for photo editing ect.

The other alternative is to get the macbook and hook it up to an external screen. If you don't have the money right away it can be done further down the line.

3. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I did think about that, but that would just cost too much... I am only 14 (15 Jan-7th) and I prob wont get a job next summer to afford a nice external screen, so I would have to wait until CHristmas\B-day of next year for the screen... so yeah, lol I am the kind of guy who wants it now...

4. Aranince macrumors 65816

Yea....I'll be getting a notebook because I don't like being stuck in one room to do stuff. With my MBP, I'll be able to go down stairs and watch TV while I'm working or whatever.

5. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

...pointless post...^^^

Thanks to everyone who voted in the poll so far.

6. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

No, it's not a pointless post. He/she is trying to tell you that with your decision, you need to remember how a notebook can be taken throughout the house with ease. Even if you don't plan on taking it anywhere else, being able to go from the family room to your bedroom to the kitchen has its advantages. You may think that this is something you can live without right now because you don't have the luxury, but once you do, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. Frankly, the macbook can handle what you want to do, so why not get it for the portability? The iMac has better specs for now, but by the time you'll be ready to buy, the macbook will have the SR chip and might(I'm not so sure, but there's always a chance) get a better GPU. Anyways, that's why I voted for the macbook.

Edit: This is the fifth or sixth time you've asked this question. Maybe it's time to pause and read responses carefully, and then make a good decision. Creating a new thread on a daily basis probably won't help too much.

7. Vidd macrumors 6502a

Vidd

I've had the same question for a good while now and the factors have changed slightly.
    The jump between Macbook and base iMac is a bit bigger now since the 17" model was retired. That's a whole 7" of screen estate among other things.

There is a high premium for portability. Despite the mobile CPU (and weird, hybrid GPU) of the iMacs, at least the hard drive is well above laptop standards. You're trading a faster, higher capacity drive for slower and lower density (but smaller) storage in the Macbook.

Don't completely disregard the external monitor idea; the GMA may not be the greatest for such set-ups but the option is always there whereas you cannot make the iMac portable. The Macbook + Bluetooth keyboard+mouse + monitor solution is pretty awesome. :)

I wouldn't try Aperture with a Macbook. The dedicated GPU, larger and higher resolution screen and the better hard drive are all big factors in photo-editing.*

Based on your comments and portability not exactly being high priority, I'd suggest going for the iMac.

8. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Thanks for the votes, suggestions, and comments! :D
    I am pretty sure I will probably get the iMac, but IF I do, I will have $50-$100 left over after buying it, so I am thinking about getting 1 more gig of ram for the iMac ($42 + tax at circuit city), and then maybe getting the wireless mighty mouse instead of the wired (it will on,y be an extra $20), and if still some left, then I will get a universal iPod dock...
    Or maybe if anyone has better suggestions on what to spend it on, please say :p

9. 66217 Guest

RAM is a good investment. But as for the Mighty Mouse, I would recommend getting the wired one. Is cheaper and works the same (in almost all cases).

10. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

I was thinking about that, but I am worried about the mighty mouse cable being too long to plug into the keyboard, because then I will have all the excess cable messing up the desk, so I guess I could plug it straight into the iMac....
    Unless someone has experience with the wired mighty mouse plugged into the keyboard (and the cable not being in the way)

11. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

You won't have access cable, you'll have excess cable.
    Either way, I use a wired mouse, and I simply tie up the left over cable near the USB input. It gives me enough length to work with and keeps it out of my way.

12. 66217 Guest

The cord of the Mighty Mouse is not the usual 10 feet long as the Microsoft mouses.

It has a pretty short cord that gives you the mobility you need, but does not gives you excess cable that would be making your life impossible.

It wouldn't hurt if you go and try them, that way you'll be sure if you like it or not.

13. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

:eek: I knew that...

and to Roco, I was just at the apple store trying out the MB vs. iMac, but I was too busy staring at the beautiful display of the iMac to remember my question\complaint about the wired Mighty Mouse :eek:
    From what I remember in the passed, when using the wired mouse on the MacBooks, they were pretty nice and short...

14. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

If you're looking for a BT mouse, I have to give you some warnings. Firstly, if you are going to be using two batteries, it can get heavy for some people. If you're going to be using one battery, you'll have to remember to have one ready to go about once a month. Frankly, the whole thing just seems like a hassle to me. It's a lot easier to just use a USB mouse. In my case, since I use a notebook, using a BT mouse would kill my notebook's battery. Consider this if you do end up going with the macbook.

15. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Get the iMac now. You won't need a Macbook until you go to college.

16. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Thanks for all the help, I am pretty set on the iMac with wired mouse....
    I would still like some more comments\suggestions to make my decision for certain....
    I just have a quick question... I heard that the iMac has 2 memory slots, and comes with a 1gb ram stick, so the other slot is still open. Is this true?? If so, does the iMac take laptop\notebook ram? or Desktop??

17. 66217 Guest

The iMac, Mac Mini, MB and MBP use the same RAM.

And yes, the iMac comes with an empty slot. So you can add a 1GB or a 2GB stick.

18. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

Awesome, because at my local Circuit City, they have 1gb Laptop\Notebook ram for $43+Tax...

19. 66217 Guest

Just make sure it is good quality and that it indeed is the one these Macs use.

20. Tumeg101 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

21. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Honestly, Circuit City isn't the best place for RAM. I assume you want a brick and mortar store, so I recommend FRYS. They usually have a lot more choices, and their prices for basics like RAM and storage are hard to beat.

22. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

I'd say iMac since you mentioned Aperture which requires a decent screen to efficiently work on and more importantly a discrete GPU which the MacBook doesn't have.

23. Bl3s5in macrumors newbie

I just had the same dilemma like a week ago. I went with the MacBook. The specs are not as high but it's kick ass being able to use a computer on a couch, bed, recliner, etc, etc.

:apple:

24. 300ZX macrumors member

The aluminum iMac has some driver issues. The mighty mouse (tried 3 different ones) does not work at all on mine; it constantly presses the side buttons even if you barely touch the mouse.

It beachballs a LOT more than both my iBook G4 and my Macbook, and it gets random slow downs for seemingly no reason a lot of the time.

It's a nice machine...when it works right; however, the Macbook (and iBook G4) have both been a lot more stable.

That said, I cannot really complain, as it has been far better than any Windows desktop I have ever owned.