iMac vs Macbook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Dan9794, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Dan9794 macrumors newbie

I have a huge dilemma, I can't decide if I should get the iMac or the Macbook. I want a fast BOOM! computer but I also want portability(Don't tell me iLugger)

Here is what I probably will be doing:
    Final Cut
    garage band
    Safari
    Aim/iChat/Skype
    Macromedia flash

That is what I will be doing most of the time, keep in mind that I am a serious video editor and will be doing A LOT of editing.

Here is where the problem comes in I need the computer to be portable but I don't know if I should get the iMac because all of the video editing or can the Macbook do just as well?

Thanks
    Dan:apple:

2. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Mac.
    Book.
    Pro.

3. aethelbert macrumors 601

Which version of final cut will you be using? I run FCE4 on my macbook just fine, but I'd imagine that Final Cut studio would be a nightmare. Unless you're doing professional editing, you don't need a macbook pro, contrary to the beliefs of people who claim that the power is needed for anything beyond Safari.

4. ert3 macrumors 6502a

ert3

The iMac is more of a contender for the Mac Book Pro than the Mac Book.

If those are your options then go with the iMac for prices sake.

5. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

The current MacBook runs Final Cut Studio just fine.

6. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

Current Macbook can not run Motion or Color if your using FCP2 - for that you'll need a Macbook Pro.

Also Livetype runs slow at anything above SD resolution on a Macbook.

Additionally, you should consider that you ideally should run your scratch disks on an external drive - which again for anything over SD will need to be FW800 which means a Macbook Pro.

Final Cut Express will be ok on a Macbook.

7. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

If you really are, "a serious video editor and will be doing A LOT of editing" then you need a pro machine.

8. neiltc13 macrumors 68040

neiltc13

9. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

I seriously suggest you go to an Apple store and speak to an expert, have them demo FCP2 to you, since some people on here seriously want you to buy a Macbook and the confused opinions here are not going to help you spend your money wisely.

My personal feeling is you will be hugely annoyed if you buy a Macbook expecting a smooth quick flowing everyday usable performance only to find you should have bought an MBP...

The Nvidia video card makes a HUGE difference to the number of elements and the resolution you can work in Motion on the MBP. If your not planning on using Motion then save your money, buy a Macbook and FCE and accept that you will be sticking in SD or lower (and Livetype only)...

10. Westsider 4 Mac macrumors regular

Westsider 4 Mac

Get a

MacBook Pro and call it the day. Portability and all the power you sound like you may need.:apple:

11. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

black macbook, 4gb ram and an external display, you can find really cheap dell 20 or 24 inch wide screen displays on ebay.

12. alecgold macrumors 65816

alecgold

Macbook pro 17" hi-res is the way to go for serious editing.
    mb will do for light editing on the move but if it is to replace a imac, a mbp would be the right choice IMHO.

Have fun shopping!

13. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

It all depends on how much you would use the portability. I don't have a mac yet but I am saving for a macbook and then I am going to buy a cinema display (hopefully they get an update soon.) I think if you go that route or even buy any external display, then you could basically have a desktop and laptop. When I have enough money saved up (have to buy the 3g iPhone soon) I will get a macbook and a cinema display cause it is like a two in one. Good luck with whatever you do though!

14. steeler macrumors regular

Since you do a lot of video editing, the iMac is the better choice of those two. If you really want the portability, I would also suggest the MacBook Pro. Check the Apple Refurb Store. Any of those MBPs should do a fine job, give you both power and portability, and get you at or near the iMac price range.

As mentioned before, you could eventually (or now) get an external monitor for your primary workspace.

15. Phillyzero macrumors regular

Phillyzero

Well, assuming it is the macbook vs. the 20inch imacs, you'd still have to go with the iMac if not for the sole reason of not having the integrated graphics card of the macbook.

However, for your needs, I really think the question you should be asking is 24" 2.88GHz iMac (with video card upgrade) vs. the low end MBP.