iMac vs Mackbook pro

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Drask, Feb 3, 2012.

1. Drask macrumors regular

Hello there,

I just bought an iMac from the apple store, it's a 27" i5 2.7 gz, 4 ram etc (no modifications) I bought it mainly so I could develp IOs Apps, I haven't recived yet because it wasn't in stock (getting it next week). I bought a 24" dell i7 3.4gz 8ram ati raedon 6770gpu 1.5tb HDD about a month ago.

So I'd like your opinion, should i keep the 27" iMac or change it for a 15" MacBook Pro (just 200$ more) and use my 24" monitor as an external monitor? or should i wait for the 2012 iMac?

Portability is not a big deal, I own a VAIO for college that's just fine. My concer are about IOs programming, what would be better, iMac or Macbook Pro? If iMac should i wait for the 2012 or just keep the 2011?

2. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

The iMac is a little faster due to the desktop CPU's but it sounds like you don't need portability so i would keep it. As for the 2012 iMac, you can always sell your current one and buy the latest.

3. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

Another question, when the updates come, do they increase the price of the iMacs?

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

The 15" Macbook Pro's "mobile" processors are all faster actually.
    Even if you take into account the synthetic nature of Geekbench.

2.7GHz i5: 7830
    2.2GHz Mobile i7: 10080
    2.4GHz '' '': 10500
    2.5GHz '' '': 10900

For reference the i7-2600 gets: 11580

Other things are slower on the laptops but it isn't the proc.

5. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

R U a "travel / portable / use any where" type person, or are you a typical "sit at a fixed desk" person?

I bought an iMac in mid 2010. Knowing what I know today, I'd buy the portable laptop next time around. With a laptop, one can use it on their lap, take it places (like work, school, the bus/train, side of the pool) and if needed, plug into a fixed desk position (with attached large screen monitor) as well.

If wondering, I will never own a fixed desk computer again. With today's battery power, wireless internet access, wireless printer and wireless hubs for backups, there's really no need for fixed desktop computers anymore.

Hope this helps in your decision…

6. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Do you you mean overall or just certain CPU options? Like the i5 (iMac) vs the i5 (MBP) from what I've read (not just from geekbench) the I7 in the Mac (3.4 ghz) is a little faster vs the MBP 2.5 ghz I7.

7. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Generally no.

8. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

Overall. Pure horsepower. How it get's used is up to software and other components. The i7 in the iMac is one of the fastest processors around in Quad core. Geekbench does not have an opinion. It is a metric of pure power. It is NOT an indication of real world. But really in the real world scenario the differences of all processors get somewhat tempered.

9. Kungshi macrumors member

I think the iMac is the best option here. If you don't need portability then why pay the extra price for it?

10. Drask thread starter macrumors regular

Because I'll need to buy a new desk that will be arounf $200 anyway (not sure on the price , haven't checked but space is not a problem) What my question is, whats better for programming, somewhere at the web i read the iMac it's not good bcuz it displays false colors (something like that) that are not the same in ipads/phones. Can't find the thread anymore tho so not sure if thats true, while the portability is nice is something i dont need cuz mostly it will be puggled to my external 24".

Just asking whats best for programming, an iMac 27 with the option of a second 24" external, or the macbook pro 15" with the 24" external keeping in mind that i wont make any modifications (except for the ram maybe).

11. Mx356 macrumors member

Mx356

I currently own both as I need them for different things. I'm a video editor and use my new iMac for when I'm at the office to edit and do my work. But I do a lot of traveling and needed the MacBook Pro for when I'm away from the office to still be able to edit on the road or in the air.

So if your going to be travling a lot and need it to be portable then go with the MacBook Pro. If your going to be more stationed and don't need it much for traveling then go with the iMac. I just got my iMac recently and I love it and love having the big screen to work with.

12. Kungshi macrumors member

I believe this supports my way of thinking. Either should take care of the OPs needs. Thought there are some threads that may say MBP is better than an iMac for some reason, the differences should not be as significant as say the difference in portability is. So the portability factor should really be considered as apple prices their machines according to those factors. Their notebooks sell much more than their desktops so I believe they capitalize on that.

13. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

Mind giving me a link? Or some sort of proof?