imac vs MacPro (or how to stop beachballin')

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by blurobot, Aug 23, 2009.

1. blurobot macrumors member

I have a strange questions for those of you that have mac pros.

I have a new imac (w 4 gig ram and snow leopard) and while the performances are ok I still see a lot of lag in the os and a lot of beachballs. Especially in vmware, the finder, spaces and expose and the browsers. Once im ina program (like words) everything works fine. the multi tasking seem to be the issue here but I'm unsure.

Now I need a windows xp or 7 machine for day trading via vmware and latency is real important and I'd really hate to leave the mac behind. ideally I'd have a win xp side with trading stuff on one space and the rest on the mac side. spaces is awesome

I'm a heavy multitaskers and I run these programs all day:
    mail
    coda
    netnewswire
    firefox (3 windows about 30 tabs)
    safari (2 windows 10 tabs)
    adium
    address book
    terminal
    itunes
    vmware with trading stuff
    transmission
    words
    text edit
    mamp

My Q: will a mac pro and a couple of raid0 ssd be essentially beach ball and lag free or is the problem within the software itself (os and 3rd party)? I ask as I often upgraded in the past (both macs and PCs) thinking adding hardware would help a situation and it did but never quite enough.

Basically, will throwing hardware at the problem help enough to make a difference or will it just burn a hole in my pocket? I know for a fact it will help but up to what point? Will all these extra cores be used for multitasking or will they just sit there and idle like in vista? Will there still be lag and beachballs just less so?

2. chaos86 macrumors 65816

chaos86

It's probably because you're using an unreleased OS without all the bugs ironed out.

3. blurobot thread starter macrumors member

no actually it's been that way for months on leopard. i upgraded to sl in the hopes that the multitasking would be better. it seem a bit better but not that big a leap...

4. Designer Dale macrumors 68040

Designer Dale

If you are indeed running a developer release of SL check this page. Some of your apps are breaking your system.

http://snowleopard.wikidot.com/

Where did you get SL? All compatibility bets are off until it ships in a box.

Dale

5. blurobot thread starter macrumors member

hmm interesting thanks for the link. but why is the multitasking lag in leopard too. i'm sure it's not a sl vs leopard thing as every mac i have have the same prob when i got too many apps open basically i want to know what difference a mac pro makes in the OS itself. I know it's much better for final cut and the likes but in the general OS does it help or is it just not that big of an upgrade?

6. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

How much RAM do you have? How are the pages in's and out's?

7. chaosbunny macrumors 68000

chaosbunny

Hm, how much ram is vmware using? Apart from that I don't see much that should eat too many resources.

I mean I use a 2007 2,8 ghz 4gb ram iMac with Mail, Firefox (3-10 tabs), Adium, iCal, iTunes, Adobe Acrobat, Bridge CS4, Illustrator CS4, InDesign CS4, Photoshop CS4 constantly running without any slowdowns most of the time.

8. blurobot thread starter macrumors member

I have 4 gig of rams and Vmware is set to use 1 processor 512 meg ram with XP and activity monitor reports it using 21.7 meg ram (very strange as safari is using 299 and so is firefox).

The disk activity is always off the charts but it's on an external drive (transmission).

I have 17.47 page in and 5.32 gb page out swap used 3.99 gb but I have no idea what this means?

if you guys are saying your imac almost never slows down then I guess it's not a OS thing it's a hardware prob...

EDIT: it doesnt slow down all the times but sometimes when I move files around or click on vmware or use spaces it lags and some times the imac gets lost so much that I can get up and get something to drink while he sorts itself out. I've seen as many as 2 min lags but most of the time it is snappy just not enough...

9. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Experiment with quitting different apps and see what makes a difference. What you're running is simply excessive.

Firefox is notorious for memory leaks, so I'd start there.

10. blurobot thread starter macrumors member

would a mac pro help me or not?

being a web dev firefox is my most used app :(

11. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Of course it will be faster.

I'm a developer as well, and I only open browser windows outside of Coda when I need to test for compatibility. Even then, I only have a few tabs open.

12. blurobot thread starter macrumors member

I know I could pace myself but it's never been my style :)

Coda's rendering engine really sucks I've had tons of bugs. It's good for first tests but not much else (which is odd considering it's basically the same engine as safari). Problem is when working on 4 projects at once I usually keep 1 window / project and I always do lots more at once including day trading and following multiple securities in google finance. As I said I could pace myself but that's a pain in the butt I'd rather throw money at the problem.

Anyways if a mac pro solves my problems then I'll take the plunge next refresh

13. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

It is the same engine as Safari. I've never had any problems... :confused:

14. surflordca macrumors 6502a

surflordca

All I can say is I use the Mac Pro with 10 gigs of RAM and I never have problems and I am very heavy at multi-tasking...

15. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Maybe you try and do a fresh install of Leopard. Then re-install all of your programs one at a time.