iMac vs MBP????? One last question before purchase

sammyman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 21, 2005
I am about to purchase an iMac or a MBP. The last deciding factor is using an external hard drive for future expandability. I need a fast hard drive for recording audio. Would a firewire 800 from the iMac be better than the PCI slot on the MBP when connecting external hard drives?

Thanks!

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I am about to purchase an iMac or a MBP. The last deciding factor is using an external hard drive for future expandability. I need a fast hard drive for recording audio. Would a firewire 800 from the iMac be better than the PCI slot on the MBP when connecting external hard drives?

Thanks!
In all honesty - do you need to be portable? Yes, MBP. No, iMac. Firewire 400 is on both (and I thought 800) and it's very fast and will suit your needs from what I can tell.

Denali9

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
The express card of the MBP would offer you a faster communication than a FW 800. But e-sata card and drives are rather expensive and FW 800 for an iMac or a MBP will do the job nicely for almost everybody and will feel as fast as the internal drive.

The main questions are do you need mobility or not and what $$ are you willing to pay. Performance wise the MBP is very close to the iMac.

Good luck