iMac vs Mbp

Discussion in 'iMac' started by s.horsfield, Sep 1, 2011.

1. s.horsfield macrumors regular

In the highest end iMac (upgraded to the 3.4ghz core i7 cpu) what clock speed does it turbo boost to?

Reason i'm asking:

I'm comparing a Macbook pro to an iMac

Macbook pro specs:
    2.3GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    AMD Radeon HD 6750M 1GB GDDR5
    500GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    MacBook Pro 15-inch Hi-Res Glossy Widescreen Display

iMac Specs:
    3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7
    4GB 1333MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    1TB Serial ATA Drive
    AMD Radeon HD 6970M 1GB GDDR5

The mbp turbo boosts to 3.4ghz (same speed as imac), same ram, same speed hard drive (500gb is enough for me so not an issue), also would the graphics give around the same performance in games?

Thanks for any help! I'm getting a new mac next year - obviously the computers would be refreshed but I may still get 2011 models, really depends on how big an upgrade

2. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Highest end iMac 3.4GHz i7 can be TurboBoosted into 3.8GHz on a single core operation.

But really, CPU-wise .. iMac i7 vs MBP i7 not much different. MBP's quad core i7 aint no slouch either for a daily tasks and operations. Go figure benchmarks on the internet and you can find that MBP's CPU power is really close to desktop i7.

GPU is what matters between two. GPU on highest end MBP = lowest end iMac. And 6970M on hi-end iMac will beat the shoot out of MBP anytime. Upcoming games like Battlefield can be played on highest end iMac with no problem (well maybe tweak a bit setting down, maybe)

But then again you can't bring iMac anywhere, no? Being in a mobile era, Mac desktop face a great danger :( people getting less and less use and buy a desktop anymore. I personally go with cheapest MBA available to compensate that mobility. Nowhere near as comfort as working on my iMac to be honest :)

3. frocco macrumors 6502

frocco

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Don't forget the screen on the iMac is much much better. I just got my iMac and the screen is breathtaking.

4. s.horsfield thread starter macrumors regular

So the 1GB VRAM in the MBP wouldn't make much of a difference? Plus the screen is smaller