iMac vs MBPr plus 4K monitor

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Balckoutgr, Aug 11, 2014.

1. Balckoutgr, Aug 11, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2014

Balckoutgr macrumors newbie

The price is almost the same !!

iMac 27" i7, 16GB ,1TB Fusion, 780M

or

Macbook pro 15" retina i7 2.2 ,16gb , 256gb ssd
    plus 4K monitor Samsung U28D590

Can't decide , pls help me .

I'd prefer an iMac but i want the Retina display and the future proof TB2 ports .

2. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

I would get the Retina if you need the portability.

3. akhilleus macrumors member

What's your main use for the computer? It sounds like your dilemma is mostly cosmetic from what you've said. Unless your main function is gaming or photo/video editing, you should be considering more than just screen size/resolution. A little more info would help us help you.

4. Ravesh macrumors newbie

Imac vs rmbp and 4k display

I am a 12 year old year 8 student I mainly do homework and light gaming (minecraft) so is a imac or a rmbp and 4k monitor better for my needs:D

5. educastro macrumors newbie

I would definitely go for rMBP and external 4k monitor. The hardware power from rBMP is not as big as from iMac but it's far from be considered bad or weak. This MacBook is amazing! Also the Retina Display is much better than iMac display(that is also far from be considered bad).

Other thing that I really like is that you would not be locked to only one way to work, with iMac you can only use your computer at home and at your desk. With a MacBook you can use it wherever you want. In the bathroom? You can. Bed? You can. College? You can. Work? You can. Desk/Office? You can and with a external monitor you will work with the same comfort and space that you would work using an iMac. Starbucks, while traveling or whatever outside place? You also can. You're not limited with a MacBook but with an iMac you're.

6. Ravesh macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thank you I will definitely go for the rmbp although does the rmbp support minecraft well because I would like to install some mods :D

:apple:iPad air

7. educastro macrumors newbie

Even my smartphone is capable of running Minecraft so... yes... a f#cking Retina MacBook Pro that has the most modern components of the market will run your Minecraft without difficulty :)

8. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

The Samsung is a TN panel, the iMac is IPS.

Frankly, I would wait to see what Apple will do to the iMac and Thunderbolt Displays.

I do like the idea of MBP + monitor.... Vs iMac... the MBP can be taken with you.

The current Thunderbolt Display only has USB2, it is very due for an update - if 4K 28" is going for $500, than Apple can make one for ~$950 at IPS and speakers, etc.

I rather bite the bullet and pay more for a new Apple display, but enjoy the heck out of that for years. If you buy it with the MBP, and AppleCare, then AC applies to monitor as well for no additional charge.

9. educastro macrumors newbie

Wow, so Apple Care also applies to the display? That's amazing :O
    I think that I will buy a new rMBP this week and an apple display at the end of this year(expecting this update), it's a shame that I will not enjoy the apple care for the display too, I need to get this macbook ASAP :(

10. Ravesh macrumors newbie

Actually

Actually your smartphone is running minecraft pocket edition and not gthe full version of minecraft plus i will be using shaders and running 10 to 15 mods at once minecraft on mac/pc is different from the minec raft on your smartphone i already have an iPad Air to run minecraft pocket edition

11. thetechfixer macrumors 6502

thetechfixer

12. educastro macrumors newbie

It was a joke, bro...

But anyway, there is no why to worry about running minecraft in a computer like this one. Actually even my PC from 5~8 years ago is capable of running Minecraft.