iMac vs PC

Discussion in 'iMac' started by applemike68, Mar 27, 2011.

1. applemike68 macrumors regular

I plan to switch to the new iMac in May. I've been a PC user forvever, but since I've purchased a iPhone 4 and a new iPad 2, I'm thinking of converting completely. My question, what are the pros and cons of switching? I will mainly use the new iMac for web surfing, photo, video, etc... Really nothing I couldn't use a PC for. Is a Mac really that much better? I won't get into the vins for the PC as that would just up set me. Maybe I've already made my choice.

2. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Mac's and PC's do the same things. Mac's tend to be more stable than Windows in general, although Windows 7 has come a long way in stability over it's predecessors.

It's more of the user experience and culture that comes along with being a Mac owner. There will be a learning curve for you if you've never owned or used a Mac before.

I too was like you and it took me a while to ween myself completely from Windows in some areas. To help with that, you can install Windows on the Mac in either Boot Camp or a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion or Parallels.

In the end, you'll be glad you made the switch as I did. :)

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

It's a preference question. One could argue that an iMac is much better looking than a normal tower PC. OS X vs Windows is endless topic of discussion but there is no answer to which is better. Both have their pros and cons. I think Macs play a bit better with iPhone and iPad than a PC would. E.g. iCal syncing and all this.

4. RiceKilla macrumors member

I dove right in, in January 2011.

Not looking back either. It's been a fun learning experience so far to do some things differently.

I think you'll be fine especially if you like to learn new things.

5. sdmoore macrumors newbie

I began using a MBP back in 2007 (it's a 2006 refurb unit when purchased). I just purchased, and have yet to receive, my first iMac, which will be my third Mac product and the final Windows-based replacement in our house--I was never so delighted to have a desktop (Dell) crash!

My switch to Mac from PC was tough the first couple of months but I really like the products, love that I don't have to worry about viruses, and the seamless interaction between the iLife suite of products. Setting up my Webpage was easy and updating/maintaining it, an essential to my work, has been simplified to the utmost by iWeb. I also love the quick syncing of the products when I'm updating my calendar on my touch 4g to my MBP's calendar/notes.

Because you are familiar with gestures, you might want to add a magic trackpad to your iMac purchase. Too, there are some great articles for PC to Mac people to get you caught up on the differences between the two and showing you how shortcuts on PC translate to shortcuts on Mac. Worth your time to read before diving in.

Most of all ENJOY!

6. dr Dunkel macrumors regular

There is really no reason to convert, other than esthetics and, of course, image. People who uses Mac are generally better people.

:D

7. flipster, Mar 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 27, 2011

flipster macrumors 6502a

Anyway, I first switched to an iMac for it's design and for gaming. I got the 2008 model with the nvidda geforce 8800 gs, and to my surprise Steam for Mac was released 2 months after my purchase which was awesome. For me, it's been able to play Counter Strike: Source max settings on 1920x1200 anywhere from 80-250 fps.

I also think it's a lot better than Windows 7. I have other PCs, but when I go on them, I get a certain feeling of "waiting". I don't know how to explain it, but every time I open an application, even if it's the best computer ever, i feel like it takes a long time to open and that it's slower than my less powerful iMac.

I really this OS X is better than Windows, and three years ago I would have never said that

8. Macginger macrumors member

Macginger

I can relate to what you're saying, been a windows user for longer than I want to remember but then I met my present partner and it was her x-partner (yea we do actually get on real well and he's a great guy) who was a manager for an Apple store in Holland who converted me, since then (2006) i've been saving for my first iMac.
    the reason why? well we both like photography and once I saw the simplicity of using iPhoto and then Aperture along with the results I was smitten (hooked).
    Just one of the many reasons why I've decided to convert but from what I've seen from my partner and stepsons who both use MBP and MP there is something very special about owning and using a Mac, prestigious I think might be the word I'm looking for.
    Once I have my iMac, this old Dell is going on display in an airtight glass cabinet, a reminder of the old virus infected past ;)

And Applemike, you'll catch on to :apple: OS real fast, as a great pointy eared man once said, "It's logical captain" or was that illogical? bah who cares you'll love it anyways :cool:

9. mikeyz6 macrumors newbie

i have had my iMAC since the end of january.. after using PC for 15+ years

i like it... a few little things that will drive you nuts but you will figure out as you go along its not too bad... just your just used to using windows/PC

-if your external drive and its NTFS you cant put anything new back onto your external... but everything transfers over easier

-certain programs dont work for MAC that works on windows.... like my VHS converter and N64 Emulator... i

10. applemike68 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for all the replys, thought it would go in this direction. I'm going to finally give up on the PC and go all Apple. :apple: I'm looking forward to iTunes working better with a iMac than a PC. I'm also tired of the PC updates every week....just looking for a better experience. All it it took was for me to get an iPhone. Shame it has taken this long.

11. Macginger macrumors member

Macginger

Better late than never mate as they say :cool:

12. nasty devil macrumors member

I just did the switch this March. I don't know why I've been using a PC all this time. And I don't see myself using a PC unless I really have to. My PC is sitting next to my Mac, off for almost 2 weeks now :p

The Mac is very very stable, and a very enjoyable user experience.

13. archer75 macrumors 65816

I use both and have for several years. As has been said already there are pros and cons to both and neither are perfect. I did prefer leopard over Vista but now I prefer Windows 7 over snow leopard. I just find performance better in Windows 7 even on the same hardware. And it's more stable in my experience. But that can depend entirely on the hardware and software you are using.

My mother was in the market for a new computer so I got her an imac. I was hoping it would cut down on the support calls. It didn't ;)

I like the design of the macbooks but can't stand their track pads so I use Windows laptops. But prefer using a desktop. I do have an ipad I use for information consumption but primarily work on my desktop.

There are things I prefer doing in OSX and things I prefer doing or have to do in windows.

So I guess I really can't give you a definitive answer on the subject. Really all depends on what you use a computer for.

14. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

At some point all of us made the switch from a PC and didn't look back. You will definitely be happy with the move from a PC to a Mac. I made the switch two years ago. At first it was a little difficult getting down all the little things that Macs did different but between google and MacRumors: Forums, I got the hang of thing pretty quick, and I'm sure you will too.

15. ActiveApp macrumors member

I made the switch last year and wish I done it sooner. I just love OSX and this is coming from someone who's day job is a windows developer. Before I switched my desktop I did buy a MacBook air. Found myself using that as my main computer and decided to get a iMac.

16. bsamcash macrumors regular

Security and stability. Those two things alone are worth the switch. This is due (partly) to the POSIX standard UNIX, and tighter integration between hardware and software.

17. lezmace macrumors member

hi,

i got a gaming pc from the year 2008 or something.

Intel Core 2 Duo 3,1 GHz
    4 GB RAM
    Geforce GTX 260

i am planning to buy an iMac 21,5" or 27"...i am not sure yet.

But my question is:

Is my 3 year old gaming PC still better in playing games as the iMac (21,5 or 27)?

I am now playing The Witcher 2 on my PC and it works but does not look very nice and it stutters from time to time. Will the iMac be more powerful?
    Bootcamp won't be a problem.

18. archer75, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

archer75 macrumors 65816

Depending on how you configure it, yes, it will be more powerful. Your going to have to pay a pretty penny for such a machine though. If all you are after is gaming you can build a cheaper, more powerful PC for less.
    And honestly, the honeymoon is over for me. I'll sell you my imac.

19. eatmyjustice macrumors member

eatmyjustice

I switched in 2008. I made sure I had a bootcamp for windows... just in case. But honestly... I didn't use it that much. Now, I have a new iMac and I didn't even install a bootcamp partition. (although I do have a win7 virtual using vmware fusion).

20. HBOC macrumors 68020

The witcher "glitches" on my new iMac, and even on my buddies PC built to utilize motion graphics. The game studio is aware of this and I am sure they are working on a fix. Remember, Oblivion was HORRIBLE with frame-rates and such after it came out, then a fix came a little bit after release.

21. Trudy macrumors regular

[I switched in 2007. I was and am an expert PC user, and a Windows-based system admin for a quite large organization. I was a Mac newbie. I use Windows at work, Mac at home.

Hands-down, I like the Mac better. During the learning curve I missed some Windows ways, but soon I found myself missing Mac things on Windows. My current biggest complaint is that there are DOS command shell things I can do quickly that take a much larger command in the Mac's UNIX command shell. But that's about it, and something most people won't encounter.

They both do have the same basic abilities, especially since Windows 7, which is vastly superior to XP or Vista (down to the innards of the OS, not just superficial). There is not as much attraction to switch now as there was back then. But the Mac still feels more integrated, cleaner, efficient. It feels like the OS helps me more without getting in the way so much.

And of course the hardware has no equal among PC vendors.

For web surfing, Safari is great, Firefox is too. You won't get native IE, but you won't miss it unless you need to visit IE-specific sites. Photo managing and video editing is great with iPhoto and iMovie. And if you buy it at an Apple store I hear they'll help transfer all of your PC files over.

22. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I noticed my iMac was much quieter than my PC. It also looks better and technically it performed better in games with better frame rates. Both machines were introduced at the same time. I could have gotten an upgraded card on the PC but I have no idea what to get anymore. The PC was ugly and loud anyways.

23. jbyun04, Aug 10, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 10, 2011

jbyun04 macrumors 6502a

jbyun04

I was a hardcore PC only user until 2009. I still like Windows 7 but the only reason I would ever switch back to PC is if I wanted to get back into the enthusiast game of upgrading my parts every 9 months and doing mods.

I find since switching to Mac, everything's become much simpler and almost zero maintenance.

Believe it or not, one of the reasons I was reluctant to switch to Mac was because I didn't want to lose Winamp (global hotkeys were so clutch for me) and losing the great keyboard control you have with Windows.

Turns out iTunes for Mac is much better than it is for Windows and you can mod Mac to behave more like Windows in terms of keyboard functions.

Macs cost more yes but they do exactly what I need it them to do very well while looking sexy as hell. Plus Apple's customer service is top notch and the resell values are very good so it's not too hard to upgrade when you want to.

Thinking about it here were my pros and cons:

Pros of Mac:
    - Reliable OS and low maintenance - no worries about any attacks
    - No more Update Tuesdays (Felt like Windows had to update everytime I restarted on Tuesdays which is why I joke about it :p) Though it really does feel like Win7 has to update a lot..
    - Engineering and build quality are great, it'll last you a while
    - Multitouch on trackpad is soo handy in Lion
    - Apple's Customer Service
    - Resell value
    - Boot Camp. Best of both worlds if you need it.

Cons of Mac:
    - Not a gaming computer; though they are getting better in this department
    - Not as easy to upgrade, if you can it's usually only HDD/RAM unless you go Mac Pro.
    - Just about everything is more expensive.. peripherals, computers, accessories, repairs
    - Can be frustrating at first for long-time PC users
    - Once you become a Mac fan/user, reading/hearing comments from ignorant, Apple hating, open environment fanboys gets extremely tiring especially if you appreciate both Mac/PC.

24. iSayuSay macrumors 68030

iSayuSay

Mac vs Windows has already been an old topic. But both computer's gap has been getting closer and closer today, which is good:

• Mac has been using Intel CPU, which means it becomes a "normal" computer like many other Windows PC
    • Mac price are getting better and better. It's still "a bit" overpriced today, but considering what you get besides hardware (design, looks, build quality, support, warranty etc) it's become more and more reasonable
    • Being a normal PC, Mac can run Bootcamp Windows (although controlled by MacOS as the main OS) and run applications.
    • Mac still not an A+++ grade gaming gear, more like B+ even at the highest-end MacPro or iMac.
    • If someone tells you can game on Mac using OSX just fine, that's a total BS. Some games are there, but not enjoyable at gamer level. More like an emulator instead of true games which "Made for Windows" and have better graphics, better compatibility, better franchise, optimum performance. Going bootcamp is still needed to get maximum performance on your Mac hardware.
    • Don't let yourself fall into Mac fanboyism, yes Mac is sexy and nice, but on a PC side, you still have the option to build $8000 PC which puts MacPro to shame and pants down. SO, just be objective of what you're doing and understand that Mac is a tool, there are some benefits compared to Windows, but for sure it's not the best computer on all field

25. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

well for me, buying a mac was probably the best thing i did since being awesome.

on my PC, i constantly have programs "not answering" .. and a lot of downtime with slow programs and stuff "working" where it seems like forever before something happens.. i even have to ctrl + alt + delete like twice a day just to force programs to shut because it sucks so much.

On my iMac, everything works, fast and easy.