iMac vs Retina MacBook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NbinHD, Jul 29, 2013.

1. NbinHD macrumors 6502

So come the end of the year, im going to be buying either a 21.5'' 2013 Haswell iMac with a SSD or a 2013 Haswell Macbook Pro Retina 15''. Now assuming that both will feature a 1gb dgpu, which would be better? For day to day use, the 21.5'' will be fine, but when gaming, which i intend on doing, i think the 21.5 would be a little small no? I have a 42'' tv in the room next door. So would it be better for me to buy the iMac and just play on the 21.5 and if i want run a long hdmi cord to the tv. Or buy a rmbp, for general school work use the laptop monitor, and than when i want to game, take it to the lounge room and play via hdmi on to the tv? What would be better. Also, what is the range of the Apple TV airplay, would it be possibly to game via the iMac on to the tv in another room. Thanks.

2. PDFierro macrumors 68040

Don't assume that the Haswell rMBP will have a dGPU. It probably won't. As for iMac vs MBP, it really all depends if you want to take it mobile or not.

3. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

I disagree with PDFierro. I think they most likely will keep the dGPU (15" models anyway). The 15" pro would pretty much not be pro when lacking a dGPU at this day in age.

In regards to gaming, it would depend on the specs of the computers, the actual graphics they contain, CPU, RAM, etc.

As far as screens go, I was perfectly fine gaming on my 17" gaming PC, and now do just fine on my 15" rMBP. So to me neither are too small, but thats personal preferences; you may have to go to the store and check out the screen sizes yourself just to see what you prefer.

I would advise AGAINST the apple TV for gaming purposes. With wireless display streaming comes lag between the controls and the display. So I wouldnt go that route.

As far as iMac v MBP, it kind of comes down again to the specs and also the portability for non-gaming. A MBP would definitely be more portable for school, so you can take your gaming wherever if you choose. But the iMacs are so beautiful, I have to talk myself out of buying one everytime I see it.

4. hawon macrumors member

You can configure both to similar in specs. It's not the matter of which one will be better. It's your preference to have a laptop or a desktop. I do own 15" rMBP but lately i wish I own an iMac.

5. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

i've always wondered why people cant decide between a laptop and a desktop.

The question really isn't that hard, and only you know, what would be the best choice.

ask yourself this:

do i need a portable computer?

6. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Its tougher than it seems :[

Do I need a portable computer? Not necessarily. Is it nice to have one. Id say it is. I enjoy taking my rMBP to the bathroom with me or the living room, and while the iMac is portable, its just not as easy (requires shutoff and startup + keyboard and mouse to move around). It is a matter of portability vs screen size, some people want both and cant decide which would suit their needs better because their needs would depend on situations; In the same lifestyle some situations may call for a larger screen while others may call for portability. Its a thing where they need to play out every scenario and decide which situations they can sacrifice the screen size/portability for. Some peoples lifestyles just may not allow for the compromise and may end up getting both.

7. Serban Suspended

Or the real solution is like mine: buy them both. When you are on a go use the MBP, when you are home use the iMac

8. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Pretty much since Sandy Bridge a MBP + ATD make an iMac superfluous.

If, however you want to game, buy your rMBP now, the next one is increasingly looking like an iGPU only config.

>

9. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I'd vote for a MBP and an external monitor to plug into if you feel the need for a BIG display from time to time.

10. Serban Suspended

I vote to buy them both and be happy for this decision

11. Zeov macrumors 6502a

Zeov

get an external monitor to your MBPR, i don't see why people suggest buying both... it is not the logical thing to do, unless you have more money than you know what to do with.

12. iPoopeh macrumors regular

iPoopeh

I game on my 2010 21.5'' iMac... And for me, the screen size is good for me since I sit so close to it. I do have a 37'' HDTV in my room as well where I play my PS3/PS2 games. But also getting a 15'' rMBP in a couple of weeks because I need something portable for college. So I'll have both computers for different needs. :p You can always get the 15'' rMBP and just buy an external display in case you want to play games. ^ ^ Kind of best of both worlds?

13. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

It is, but really the 27" ATD is borderline too big for gaming if you sit right at your desk.

>

14. thundersteele macrumors 68030

If you don't need mobility, I would go for the iMac. Much more ergonomic, no annoying heat on the keyboard, and probably less noisy.

If you need mobility... then you need a laptop. Really not such a difficult question.

15. NbinHD thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmmm, the rmbp would be pushing my budget to the limit. Im just a little concerned that the 21.5'' iMac would be a little small for gaming, although if i brought a monitor for a rmbp it would probably only be 23'' for the monitor i was looking at. Much difference between the 21.5 vs the 23?

16. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

If I had to choose between laptop on a stick and a portable laptop portability wins every time. The portable is going to cost twice as much as the non-portable. MBP wins over iMac

The better question is why are we gaming on a Mac?

17. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

IF portability is something that is important to you, then yes the rMBP wins hands down. I don't think you can go wrong with the rMBP.

18. NewishMacGuy macrumors 6502a

NewishMacGuy

Then pick up a refurb or used uMBP-15 from 2012 or even 2011, upgrade with SSD or hybrid and pay up for the ATD, which is an awesome display with the advantage of 1 cable docking.

2011 uMBP-15 + 8GB + 750GB Hybrid + ATD = ~$2000
    2012 uMBP-15 + 8GB + 750GB Hybrid + ATD = ~$2400
    2012 rMBP-15 / 8GB / 256GB (Best Buy special) + ATD = ~$2600

>

19. zipur macrumors 6502

Laptop on a stick? How about a nice clean beautiful desk. With a nice big 27in screen and no cables needed simple and clean. Not everyone wants or needs to lug around a big hunk of aluminum just to work while in bed. Web browsing and emails well thats why we have an IPADs. Plus he will have to buy a new 27 monitor so $$$ added to the deal.
    So the laptop on a stick is all built in slim and beautiful, but if you have a problem, dragging the 27in to the apple store is a chore. Plus everyone complains about screen bleed and you can't upgrade the thing.
    Oh and don't throw out the Mac Mini with i7/16g/1T Fussion drive it's cheaper than both IMAC and rMBP with the same specs. Plus the Mini will server you many more years because it's an excellent media center when you're ready to Refresh to the next best thing. IMAC and rMBP well they just aren't as elegant in the after life area.

20. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

What are you going on about?

It's a laptop on a stick, laptop RAM, laptop MOBO, Laptop GPU, I believe they're BGA, and they've switched to 2.5" drives on the smaller one if I'm not mistaken.

If you think it's pretty thats great, but it doesn't change the fact that it's a laptop on a stick.

21. Hman81 macrumors newbie

However imacs have desktop CPUs and the 27 inch ram can be upgraded to 32gb? however generally they are pretty much a laptop on a stick :p

22. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

There are many a laptop that can go to 32GB and there are many a laptop that can drive 2560x1440 again whats your point?

23. Hman81 macrumors newbie

You said you would chose the MB pro over the imac because the imac is basically an unportable laptop. But the macbook pro doesn't have a desktop CPU or can have 32gb of ram. Yes other laptops can but the macbooks can't. You get more bang for buck with the iMac. (depending on what one you chose) It Would be cheaper for op to buy an imac instead of getting a laptop plus can external. But If op wants to take their mac with them then obviously laptop + monitor would be best. You cant call an imac a laptop on a stick its more of a cross between the two on a stick :p

24. GermanyChris macrumors 601

GermanyChris

Yup it can have 32 and has a desktop CPU. That desktop CPU doesn't buy much in terms of real world performance and if you need 32GB of RAM you're not asking this question.

25. Robster3 macrumors 68000

I have a late 09 27" iMac and got a 15" MBPr 3 months ago. iMac is a TV now, retina is much better. I dont think i would buy another iMac even if it had retina. And i use my MBPr mostly on my desk and around the house, and it has been on 1 holiday. :)
    And just got my wife a 13" MBPr and her 09 21" iMac is now my sons gamer.