iMac vs Retina Macbook

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Vox Populi, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Vox Populi macrumors newbie

So I'm trying to decide which Mac to buy. I'm trying to decide between the lower end 15 inch retina macbook and the new upper end 27 inch iMac.

My budget is around $2000. I'm a Film major in college and I do a lot of editing and a bit of gaming. My question is, based on the specs released today, would the difference between the two computers be that noticeable in terms of performance?

2. Jamiednm macrumors newbie

Seeing as you don't sit right on top of an iMac, it's effectively a Retina display anyway. I'm looking at an iMac screen now at a reasonable distance and I can't make out the pixels.

The only thing you need to bear in mind is portability. If you really need it, then the MBP is probably the best option. If you don't, then the iMac is a better computer. Certainly for any sort of design/graphics/video processing where colour correction is important, the iMac wins hands down.

3. washburn macrumors 6502

How do majority of apps/webpages look in Retina?

I mean I've seen an rMBP in person and it was amazing but I haven't thoroughly tested it

I hear that images on sites don't look as sharp etc..

4. Ice-Cube macrumors 6502a

Ice-Cube

You are really just paying for the portability of the MBP. Specs wise they can do the job well.