iMac vs updated macbook pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Coldkill3, Mar 23, 2008.

1. Coldkill3 macrumors newbie

Hi, I'm having quite the dilema in choosing between an iMac 24" or the macbook pro. Price not being an issue, should I go for the macbook pro or the iMac keeping in mind that I don't intend to carry the macbook pro around alot, yet i wonder if I would think so differently if I owned a laptop. I am in currently in highschool. On a side note, does anyone expect the iMacs to be updated soon and also given 512mb graphics options as well as the newer Penryn based Intel processors?

2. Parsec macrumors member

I'd get a MBP and a separate keyboard and mouse. Oh and an iSkin keyboard cover. At least you can carry it around and still have lot's of processing/graphics power.

You'll probably miss it when you can't haul it around in the future.

I have an iMac myself, but only because I have a portable mac aside.

3. Coldkill3 thread starter macrumors newbie

thnx, however the thing is my family currently owns a laptop, its a dual core AMD Turion 2.2 Ghz i believe, bought last year from HP for my mom however she is practiaclly computer retarded and I can't see my self using a laptop for anything more then watching movies on the go =s ugh soo many choices, any idea as to when the penryn imac's are coming or perhaps they'll just skip the penryn update and opt for the Nehalem chips in later 08 - early 09?

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

As usual it comes down to "What do you intend to use the computer for?"

if you don't really need a computer then don't get one

if you don't do any intense video editing, image manipulation, ect. don't get a macbook pro, get a macbook.

If you have a large music, movie, photo library get an iMac

if you're a professional get a Mac Pro

5. Coldkill3 thread starter macrumors newbie

sorry for more questions guys but... this should be the last one =p
    when the santa rosa platform was released last may how long did apple take to implement it into their laptops, and since Montevina is coming out in about a month and a half do u think apple would implement it quickly into its iMac's, the reason im asking is I'd hate to buy a computer now, only to be screwed over after less then a month of use with a new product which supports a faster processor, DDR3 ram modules and possibly a better video card... that being said I desperatly need a computer as my current desktop although running quite well for its age manages to piss me off daily. it is a 2.66 Ghz P4, 512 mb of ram (pathetic i know) an nvidia geforce 4 mx 420 (64mb no shaders) and it was bought in 2002 =) for a 6 year old system its held out quite well

6. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

You ask the same questions many do here.....

Computers are upgraded all the time. It does not matter when you purchase one. The next upgrade for the iMac is supposed to be soon, but you need to think that even if you purchase the latest and greatest, it is ALREADY obsolete the FIRST day it arrives into the stores!

Buy the best computer now for your needs and what you think you might use it for in the future. I am sure the iMac or an Apple laptop will give you years of use. A small speed bump matters little in performance. Spend your money on maxing the RAM.