Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Curtie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Hi, I have the choice of buying a Imac 21.5" 3.06 Ghz, 4 gb ram with ati radeon 4670 graphics card vs acer i5 2.26 Ghz 4 gb ram with 1GB 5650 ati grahics card. I want the computer for gaming and surfing the internet. Which is the better choice. Thanx in advance.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Hi, I have the choice of buying a Imac 21.5" 3.06 Ghz, 4 gb ram with ati radeon 4670 graphics card vs acer i5 2.26 Ghz 4 gb ram with 1GB 5650 ati grahics card. I want the computer for gaming and surfing the internet. Which is the better choice. Thanx in advance.
Can you post the link to this acer machine you're going to buy? I'd like to check the specs out a little more.
I think the 5650 is a bit better, but by how much I'm unsure. This is the 5650M on notebookcheck and this is the 4670M (Games / FPS towards the bottom of the page).

If you bought the iMac, you'd need to buy a copy of Windows for the best performance as well as the biggest list of games.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
First of all, why are you comparing a desktop to a laptop? If you are buying it solely for gaming, then you should think about building a desktop PC if you don't need portability. That way you get the best performance for cheapest price and you can upgrade it in the future. Neither iMac or laptop is good for gaming. For serious gaming, a desktop PC is the way to go

sentros

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2009
Finland
In addition I would like to point out that Acer sold laptops tend to have bad build quality and not so good customer satisfaction. I would go with some other brand if I was buying a pc laptop, but maybe that's just me.

Curtie

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2010
Acer Intel core i5 430 processor 2.26 Ghz 4096mb ram 640GB HDD ATI Radeon VGA 1GB Video ram.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.