iMac Wake For Network Access not working w/Apple TV

Discussion in 'iMac' started by golfgirlgolf, Dec 26, 2013.

1. golfgirlgolf macrumors member

golfgirlgolf

Californian living on the other West Coast (FL)
    I just migrated to a 3TB Fusion drive iMac and it will not awaken when the network Apple TV 3 tries to load the iTunes library... on WLAN (Linksys/Cisco router)

Energy Saver/Wake For Network Access is checked
    I even tried UNchecking "Put Hard Disks To Sleep"
    Also tried "Enable/Disable Power Nap" both ways.

This worked before on my previous iMac/1TB/Lion on LAN (same router setup)

Any ideas? (Other than setting Computer Sleep to NEVER)
    Is it because I'm on wireless now? :-/ Does "Wake" require a LAN connection?

Because I changed iMac hardware, connection type and OSX I'm not sure what caused this to no longer work.

Differences -
    2010 iMac vs 2012 iMac
    LAN vs WLAN
    10.7.6 vs 10.9.1

One thing I noticed is a new checkbox in iTunes/GetInfo "Prevent App Nap" though it's probably not related, tried this as well.

2. Bear macrumors G3

Is there a way to have the iMac wired for testing? If so, try that.

3. AndrewMRiv macrumors regular

AndrewMRiv

I'm sure that you have already tried this, but have you simply tried turning everything off and on again?

I know that it sounds silly and simple (and you may have already done this) but Home Sharing from my iMac to my MacBook and iPad just stopped working one day and it ended up just working when I restarted the router and the iMac.

4. golfgirlgolf thread starter macrumors member

golfgirlgolf

Thanks, there's not really an easy way to wire this directly on a LAN to test...

I did try restarting but no joy.

I do NOT have an Apple router - but this really should not matter.
    FWIW I have a Linksys E2000 router - with default settings. No special port forwading or DMZ have been set up. I shouldn't need to though, this is basic stuff?

Attached Files:

5. jg321 macrumors 6502

I had this same problem, only started when I put Mavericks on. The "workaround" was to stop it sleeping. The fix was to put ML back on, which it's now back on, and wakes every single time.

Back to my Mac and Apple TV both were unable to wake the iMac when running Mavericks.

Looks to be widespread:

https://www.google.co.uk/#q=mavericks+back+to+my+mac+problems

6. Brian33 macrumors 6502a

My reading of this Apple document indicates that you DO need either an Apple router or an Apple TV (which I understand you to have).

The only other thing I noticed is
    Could that be the problem?

7. jg321 macrumors 6502

I'm following this closely now - if this is the problem I'll be both happy and sad! That said, my iMac only ever joined one network, however, Mavericks seems to populate the networks from other iDevices now (e.g. my MBP has never been to Croatia, but it knows about a wireless network there!).

Looking forward to hearing what the OP says re the prefs.

8. golfgirlgolf thread starter macrumors member

golfgirlgolf

Right - yes the Apple TV should be waking up iTunes on the Mac even without an Apple router.
    Wake on Demand works by partnering with a Bonjour Sleep Proxy running on your AirPort Base Station, Time Capsule or Apple TV (when no AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule is present on the network). Note: Apple TV will act as a Bonjour Sleep Proxy even if it is in sleep mode.

I read that too - There is only one network in preferred networks connected, so of course it is also the first.

My OSX system info says = Wake On Wireless: Supported

Thanks for trying -

9. Zoidberg79 macrumors newbie

My experience with Apple TV go back to the first black hockey puck.

I have had two iMacs over the same period of time. Both have worked flawlessly with apple tv and both have been utter disasters.

It seems that with some OSX versions and certain ATV firmwares there is a "good" combination where the apple tv will wake and load the iTunes libraries on your network. However this is very rare. More often than not apple cannot seem to get the ATV and OSX to co-operate.

I am now on OSX 10.9.1 and all my apple tv's are running 6.0.2. My iMac NEVER wakes up since the 0.0.1 update. I have tried all the suggestions here (previously setting the Wifi network to the top of the list did make a difference a few firmwares ago) but I have not had any luck.

Just have to wait for apple:mad: