iMac Wake on Lan (WOL)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by bluestarCVO, Aug 31, 2014.

1. bluestarCVO macrumors member

bluestarCVO

Anyone had any luck getting wake on lan to work? I've tried several different things with no luck. I have it enabled in energy saving preferences, but still no luck. Any time it's asleep I cannot wake it up with other computers or with apps on my iPhone such as team viewer, or even the Wake on Lan app. I've done a lot of searching and it seems others have the same problem. Some have found solutions, most have not. I've tried the various solutions but none have worked for me. I really want to be able to let the computer sleep as it uses much less power than when it is only idling. It is a late 2012 iMac running the latest version of Mavericks. I am on wifi, although I have also attempted to test this with ethernet as well with no luck. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. rrl macrumors 6502

rrl

3. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

What does this do?

4. rrl macrumors 6502

rrl

Sets wake on magic packet to true. That's how wake on lan works, a targeted magic packet is sent by one device, and if the target computer is listening, interested and sleeping, it wakes.

5. bluestarCVO thread starter macrumors member

bluestarCVO

6. alksion macrumors 68000

alksion

How would one get those packets sent over to the desired machine?

7. jeanjeudi macrumors newbie

jeanjeudi

Wake on Lan

Is it possible to use wake on lan to wake up a switched off computer? Or is this only possible from a "sleeping" computer?
    Is there any workaround known to make it possible to wake up my switched off computer?
    Thanks!

8. rrl macrumors 6502

rrl

No, you can't use WOL for that. You would need additional electronics that connect to the power switch header on the motherboard. So, it's possible, but it's nontrivial.