Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Malus

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2005
Hello,
Just last night, my imac just out of the blue woke up from sleep mode. Nothing touched the keyboard at all. Then this morning it happened again. I'm sure it happens during the night while I'm sleeping as well. Is my imac haunted?? Or does this happen regularly...

hcuar

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2004
Dallas
I have a friend who has the same problem. I don't think he has solved the problem yet.

ohcrap

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2005
hcuar said:
I have a friend who has the same problem. I don't think he has solved the problem yet.
That statement was helpful, but I guess not much more helpful than this statement. :rolleyes:

Seriously though, do you have any setting enabled that allows ethernet and/or bluetooth activity to wake the system? I believe I recall someone in another thread having their iMac wake on LAN activity, but I could be wrong. Something to look into anyways. :D

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2004
Flip over your mouse or unplug it... On quite a few occasions I've had optical mice wakup computers since they were on a wood desk, the grain could apperently "confuse" the mouse at times and cause the mouse pointer to jitter a bit... when that would happen durring sleep the system would wakeup.

It can also be wake-on-lan, but I'm not sure as to how to disable that on a Macintosh system.

machobson

macrumors regular
Apr 19, 2005
Make sure in systems prefs, you don't have "Wake when the modem detects a ring" selected.

jkandell

macrumors member
Sep 6, 2005
Tucson AZ
Malus said:
Hello,
Just last night, my imac just out of the blue woke up from sleep mode. Nothing touched the keyboard at all. Then this morning it happened again. I'm sure it happens during the night while I'm sleeping as well. Is my imac haunted?? Or does this happen regularly...

I had same problem and solved it by diligently going through applications and system preferences and unchecking any kind of automatic checking for updates, e.g.

-wake when the modem detects a ring (system pref) set to off
-don't automatically check for updates on os-x or individiual software
etc.

This worked for me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.